Lesson 5. Hard Work

Clemence stretched her legs out along her bed, using the wall behind her to prop herself up as she tilted her head, keeping her phone nestled between her shoulder and her ear. She used her free hands to wipe the food from around her mouth, lazily chewing on her peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

'What's all that slurping noise?' Erin asked, her voice crackling on the other end of the phone.

'I'm eating.' Clemence mumbled with a mouth full of food.

'Gross, I can hear it all.'

Clemence rolled her eyes, taking the last bit and chewing uqickly, trying to lick her sticky fingers clean.

A serious of chesty, crackly coughs came through the phone followed by a low groan.

'God this sucks.' Erin mumbled, clearing her throat.

It was Friday evening and the plan for that night had been for Clemence to stay over Erin's and Abigail's house but after complaining of a sore throat Thursday night, Erin's had fell ill and she was quarantined to her room, bedridden with a high fever.

After complaining more about 'dying of boredom' rather than actually being ill, Clemence had rang Erin to keep her company and their conversation had been going on for over an hour.

'Just make sure you stay in bed yeah? If you try to start doing things you're not going to get any better.'

Erin sighed. 'Yeah I know, I've already had words from nurse Abbie' She coughed again, groaned. 'Promise we can hang out, just us two as soon as I'm better?' Her voice sounded weak and pathetic and Clemence frowned with pity.

'Of course we can.'

'You know, I've been trying to get hold of Tim all week and he hasn't replied to any of my messages.' Erin suddenly said. 'Why would he give me his number then? Do you think he's blowing me of??'

Clemcen frowned in surprise. 'Oh...I don't know Erin.'

'Has he said anything to you? About me I mean? Mentioned me at all?'

Clemence bit her lip. She had been avoiding any stuauton at work where she would have to be alone with Tim, dragging children over with her on the occasions she had to discuss work related matters with him.

'I haven't really had chance to speak to him on his own Erin, sorry.' She muttered truthfully.

'Oh...that's okay. Weird of him to give me his number though if he wasn't even interested.' Clemence heard the dejection in Erin's voice and felt a wave of sympathy crash over her.

'Do you like him? I mean, you really wanted to see him more?'

'Yes!...I mean, I'm not normally the one who has to chase the guys so I'm hoping this isn't just a want what I can't have type of deal. But...I think I do really like him Clem, he was so nice and genuine.'

Clemence sighed, the urge to protect her best friend swelling up inside her like a balloon. She was over what had happened on that night out, after realising there was no feelings at all for Tim she contemplated the idea of him and Erin, realising it didn't seem such a bad idea and may potentially save her from an awkward situation. He was nice and Erin truly deserved someone nice.

'I'll talk to him.' Clemence said. 'I'll work out what's going on okay? It's not cool of him to be ignoring your messages.'

'Thank you so much Clem!' Erin's voice chimed through the phone, suddenly perkier. ' That means a lot to me, thank you!' The sincerity in her voice filled Clemence with warmth and made her smile. She forgot why she had ever been so mad at Erin.