Prologue

Prologue

Hey guys! Haley here(: So we’re back! Well, you know about our marriages and our children, but would you care to hear about how it all happened? If your answer was no… well… then I’m sorry you feel that way. Have a nice life. But if the answer was yes, continue reading! The following story starts about a month after Dani and Derek’s funerals…

*Haley’s P.O.V.*

“There’s a snake in my boot!” We were having a favorite movie day, and obviously it was currently Liam’s turn. We had already watched Grease, Mean Girls, The Notebook, 21 Jump Street, The Help, and Rent for Niall, Julia, Michelle, Megan, Sydney, and me, and now it was Liam’s turn, so we were watching Toy Story. I turned myself around in Niall’s embrace and looked up at his face. His eyelids were shut, his lashes fanning over his porcelain cheeks as colors from the TV illuminated his face. I smirked a bit, finding it pretty entertaining that Niall disliked Disney movies (except Finding Nemo) so much that he fell asleep. I lay my head on his chest, turning my attention back to the screen. Well, trying to at least. My eyes kept flickering to the front door. Louis must have noticed, because once he caught my gaze he just shook his head, a sad look in his eyes. I sighed, turning my attention back to the door. The whole gang was home but Harry. I checked the clock, which read 23:49. Harry usually came home around this time. My eyes found the front door again, and, as if on cue, a very drunk Harry stumbled through the door with some slut attached to him, still sucking his face as he slammed the door shut. Some of us looked at them, while some people pretended not to notice and just kept their eyes on the movie. I clenched my jaw, tears welling in my eyes. This was not what Dani meant when she told him to move on.

“Harry,” I called. He turned his head towards me in a drunken daze while the Slut of the Night sucked on his neck, probably leaving a hickey. He already had three prominent ones and four fading ones. I had caught everyone else’s attention by then too; no one had confronted Harry about his… strategy.

“Yeah?” he slurred back. My lips trembled as I tried my best not to cry. How the hell did he end up like this? I wondered in disappointment. But I wasn’t just disappointed in Harry; I was disappointed in myself for not controlling him when I had the opportunity.

“You missed half of favorite movie day,” I informed him shakily. I hated his response, but I predicted it anyway.

“Relax, I was out with Dani,” he replied nonchalantly. Everyone looked down. We knew Harry was trying to forget that Dani was ever gone by numbing his mind and finding random whores at the bar, but I just couldn’t take this shit anymore.

“Dani’s dead!” I screamed, my voice cracking as the tears started flowing freely. Niall was wide awake by now, and he was trying to comfort me as best he could, but my attention was completely on Harry. Cold realization washed over his face as he somewhat sobered up at my statement, then he violently shoved the girl off of him, storming upstairs with tears brewing in his saggy green eyes. The girl stumbled forwards, probably very confused. After a moment of very uncomfortable silence, Sydney sighed and climbed out of Liam’s lap.

“Come on sweetie, let’s get you home,” she said sweetly to the girl, helping her to keep her balance. I looked up at the empty staircase, clenching my fists so tight that slight crescent shaped indents formed on my sweaty palms. I could barely hear Niall’s choked up coos through the pressure building up in my skull. Liam followed Sydney out to the cars as she asked the girl where she lived. Finally, deciding that no one else was willing to do what had to be done, I left the comfort of Niall’s embrace and headed upstairs to go confront Harry.

I didn’t even bother to knock. I just lightly opened the door, stepped in, and shut the door. The place was a mess, probably reflecting how poor Hazz felt on the inside. Although the door made quite a loud noise while shutting, Harry didn’t move. He just lay on his bed, face stuffed in his pillow as he gripped his curls so hard his knuckles were turning white. I approached him timidly, perching lightly on the end of his bed. “Hazz,” I started, not quite sure what I was saying. So I decided to just let my thoughts out, loud clear. “You can’t keep doing this. I know you miss her and don’t want to accept that she’s gone, but she is. When she said move on, she meant when you find a girl love, not go get drunk every night and bring home random sluts and convincing yourself they’re Dani!” I tried to be gentle, but by the end I was just so frustrated.