Chapter 24

Mr Knightly watched his wife step down the stairs with the most content expression Amber had ever seen on a man. It wasn't like the movies, where the guy stood glassy eyed and drooling at the woman, but instead, he just looked completely serene. It was as though watching his wife coming down the stairs looking more radiant than usual didn't make a difference to how he felt, and he certainly wasn't surprised by her beauty. She was the same person that he had fallen in love with and his fulfilled gaze let her know that. 

Amber had helped her choose a violet lace dress with sleeves that ended at her elbows and a hem that ended just above her knees. She applied some subtle make up and chose a pair of formal heels to match.

Alex wrapped his arms around Amber from behind and rested his chin on her left shoulder as they both watched his aunt and uncle meet at the bottom of the stairs. 

"You look wonderful, darling," Mr Knightly stated simply, pecking her on the cheek. 

"As do you, dear," Mrs Knightly replied with a pleased smile, as she smoothed out his collar. "Shall we get on our way?" 

They worked with such smoothness that it was as though they had rehearsed it their whole lives for this precise moment. Mrs Knightly grabbed her keys and checked the stove whilst Mr Knightly slipped on his coat and held hers out for her to also slip into, and then she would take his arm and they walked to the front door.  

They paused for a moment, remembering their nephew a moment before they stepped out the door. 

"I'm afraid you're both on your own for dinner," Mrs Knightly told them as she unlocked the front door. "Help yourself to anything in the fridge or order some take out." 

"They'll be fine, Mary. We need to make those reservations if we're going to have any dinner ourselves," Mr Knightly told her quietly. 

Mrs Knightly sighed, looking a little torn. "I know David, but it's been so long since Alex has been home and I don't even have dinner cooked." 

Alex released Amber and walked up to his aunt before pecking her cheek and talking her hand. "You need to focus on your anniversary. We'll have dinner together tomorrow, anyway." 

Mrs Knightly stroked Alex's cheek.

Alex's expression softened for a moment as he gazed fondly at his aunt. In that moment, he might as well as transformed into the little boy who had just been told his parents weren't coming home from their holiday. 

He cracked a smile to break the emotional tension in the air. "You kids be good." 

Mr and Mrs Knightly both chuckled and headed for the door. 

Alex returned to Amber's side and threw an arm around her shoulders absentmindedly as they watched Mr and Mrs Knightly climb into their car and back out of the drive way. 

Once they were out of sight, Amber turned to Alex and wrapped her arms around his  waist.

"I guess we have this place to ourselves."

Alex's face inched towards hers and lingered there for a moment. She was craving the feeling of his mouth against hers and wished he would stop hesitating but she knew he was savouring this moment, capturing it and storing it away in his memories, before allowing himself to lose himself completely in her. She couldn't stop the moan from escaping her mouth as he tugged gently on her hair. Her hands lay flat upon his chest before she snaked them around his neck in an attempt to close the non-existent gap between them. The force of Alex's kiss has her backed up against the wall in the hallway. Amber's lips pulled away from Alex's for a moment and she left a trail of kisses past his cheek and settled on his neck. She nibbled on his skin gently and felt a sense of satisfaction when Alex quietly moaned. Alex lifted her off of the ground for a second and Amber took the hint and wrapped her legs around his waist, placing her mouth back on his, already missing his taste. But it wasn't enough. Amber wanted more. A fire seemed to be spreading throughout her body and consumed her whole. Only Alex's touch would be able to put it out. She had felt this way for a while but she wanted to be sure of her feelings for Alex so every time it got any further, she'd put a stop to it and Alex would be understanding. But there was no need for that tonight.