Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Amber sat in her room doodling on a scrap piece of paper as she waited for a song to load. Her computer always took its time when she really craved for some good music. She sighed and looked around her room. It was rather empty since her large wooden easel and art box had gone. She still had other art supplies scattered around the room and there were paintings and bare canvases scattered everywhere.

There was a knock at the door.

"Come in." Amber called.

The door opened and Annette stepped inside carrying a tray with glasses of coke and slices of lemon.

Amber resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Annette had been nice to her all week since Amber had come home from the hospital in crutches.

"Hey, baby sis." She grinned and set the tray on the table.

"I thought I told you to stop calling me that." Amber scolded her playfully.

Annette rolled her eyes. "I've got your favourite drink."

Amber grinned at her older sister and grabbed a glass. She squeezed lemon juice into it and swirled it around before taking a sip. The cold drink felt good.

"Just what I needed. Thanks, Ann." She drank half of it in one go. "So you obviously want something..."

Annette sighed and looked down at her own glass. She took a sip.

"I just felt bad that you lost Mum's paint set and I heard that you've been having nightmares..." She looked up and Amber with a slightly hurt expression on her face. "Why didn't you tell me Ambs?"

Amber felt bad. She and Annette had always been really close. She told Ann everything and when their mother had died, it had always felt like it was them against the world.

"I'm sorry Ann. I just didn't want you worry over me." Amber told her. "We both know how you fuss over me."

Annette laughed and glanced at Amber sheepishly. "Yeah I guess... I just... You come to me for everything it just feels weird that you kept it to yourself."

There was a slight pause and Amber's music began to play in the background. Annette's expression softened as she recognised the song.

"Mum's song..." She whispered. She closed her eyes and started rocking back and forth, looking as though she was going to cry.

Amber watched her sister feeling slightly alarmed. She had never seen her like this before.

"Ann? Are you alright?" She hobbled over to the bed and took a seat next to her sister.

Annette had silent tears rolling down her cheeks. They left paler trail in her thick make-up.

"Gosh, I miss her so much sometimes." She whispered. "When I heard that you were in the hospital... Don't do that to me again, Ambs. I can't lose you too."

Amber pulled her older sister into a hug, feeling shaken. "You won't lose me, Ann."

Annette let out a shaky laugh. "I'm sorry, Amber. I just miss her so much, you know. All these things are happening to me and she's not there to help me through it."

Amber stared into her sister's hazel eyes. "What do you mean? What aren't you telling me, Ann?"

Annette starting sobbing again, she covered her face childishly. "I... You can't tell anyone, Ambs. Promise you won't tell until I know what I'm going to do."

"You're pregnant." Amber stated, comprehending her panicked expression. 

Amber's gaze involuntarily glided down to her flat stomach. There was no evidence of the baby growing inside of her. She could tell from Annette's pale face and dark, tunnelling eyes that she was right. Annette didn't need to respond. She continued to rock back and forth, mouthing the words to their mother's favourite song. Tears rolled down cheeks and dripped form her wobbling jawline.