Chapter 19

There were a variety of artists at 'The Hollow Paintbrush', meaning that there were various different opportunities open to Amber - that is if they liked the painting that was currently featured at the gallery. Amber spent her free time roaming the gallery, often spending an hour or two after school just standing beside her painting, waiting for someone to show interest. She was having no such luck. 

It was a cold November's afternoon when someone approached her. It was hard to see over her thick woolly scarf that protected her from the icy draught that sneaked in through the holes in the ceiling. The gallery had a strict no food and drink policy but Amara made an exception for "a friend of Alex", so Amber stood by her painting clutching onto her cup of tea for dear life, hoping to absorb even a fraction of the heat. Someone had approached her painting. Amber raised a hand to her face to pull her scarf away from her eyes so that she could see who it was. 

It happened to be someone she had never seen before. He wore a rich chocolate coloured blazer over a thick scarlet cable knit sweater, which revealed a shirt and a tie within the v-neck. He had coupled it with a pair of dark jeans and a pair of finger-less gloves. Amber didn't want to interrupt his train of thought as he tilted his head to look up at the painting. His skin reminded her of the exact shade of coffee beans that her mother used to drink. She found herself becoming lost in her thoughts as she fixed her gaze on him. 

"She's talented, huh?" 

His smooth, deep voice made Amber jump. She hadn't realised that he knew she was watching him.  

"You think so?" Amber asked, trying to conceal her pleased smile. 

"Yes, this..." He paused to read the little sign with her name on it. "Amber Riley, she gets her message across so clearly. It's exactly what I'm looking for." 

Amber's curiosity got the better of her. "And what exactly is it that you're looking for?" 

"Well, that's for me and Miss Riley to discuss. You wouldn't happen to know her would you?" 

The heat rose to Amber's cheeks and it had nothing to do with the drink in her hands or the many layers she was wearing. He glanced at her with his unexpectedly clear blue eyes and surveyed her with his knowing gaze. Amber knew that her cover was blown. 

"How did you know it was me?" 

He grinned smugly, flashing her his perfectly pearly teeth. "I have a sixth sense for these things." 

Another blush rose to Amber's cheeks as he winked. "So, what did you want to discuss with me, Mr...?" 

"George. Call me George." 

"Right. George."

George placed his attention back on the painting. "How about we discuss it over dinner?" 

Amber's gaze dropped from his face in embarrassment. "I have to decline." 

The taste in her mouth turned sour as she thought of what Alex would be thinking if he witnessed the conversation. 

"I have to go," Amber told him hastily, no longer wanting to continue this conversation. 

"Please don't leave because of what I said." His intense gaze returned to her and Amber couldn't help but look up and meet it. "I'm sorry. That was inappropriate of me. I actually want to talk business with you but I thought I'd try my luck." 

Amber felt like he had glued her to the spot. Her mind was buzzing with the words he had just spoken. "Well you're unlucky on the dinner front. Maybe you'll get luckier on the business front." 

Another smile broke out onto George's face. Another flash of his teeth. "Well then let us start again." 

He held out a hand for her to shake.