Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The sun barely made it through the window of Amber's bedroom. It cast a light on her face, making her stir. She groaned and covered her face with her duvet. Why was she waking up now? Weren't the sleeping pills supposed to last eight hours? Had it already been eight hours?

Amber shoved her head under her pillows as an attempt to stop the unnecessary from filling her mind. It wasn't working. She couldn't stop thinking about stupid things. Why wouldn't her mind shut up? Why did she feel like she had forgotten something?

Amber shot upright in her bed. She was supposed to be meeting Alex today! She sat against the heard board and glanced around the room in search of her clock.

It was exactly ten. Two hours until she'd see Alex. Two hours until she'd get her mother's paint set.

She dragged herself out of bed, with Alex's face to motivate her. She couldn't stop herself from humming the very tune that he had been humming in the forest as she brushed her teeth. Where had she heard that tune before?

She made her way out of the bathroom and went down for breakfast. The trip down the stairs wasn't exactly easy with her stupid crutches.

Mr Riley had already left for work. Amber remembered her father constantly buzzing about a large construction site for some rich guy over on the other side of town.

Annette was... Well, she was probably being sick, due to her pregnancy. Amber froze for a minute, silently listening to the silent house around her. Then she heard the floorboards upstairs creak and gagging sounds coming from Annette's bathroom.

Amber threw her crutches to the ground. She hopped up the stairs as fast as she could and headed for Annette's room. She spotted her on her knees in front of the toilet, spilling the contents of her stomach.

Amber jogged over to her and held her dark hair away from her face. The smell made Amber recoil slightly but she didn't leave Annette. She rubbed her back and kept her hair out of the way. Annette finished up and flushed the toilet before sitting cross legged on the floor. She took long, deep breaths.

After a couple of minutes of calming herself, she looked at Amber who was now sitting on the floor beside her.

"Can you get me some water, please?" She asked weakly.

Amber nodded. She hopped back down the stairs, not liking the fact that she had left Annette alone. She filled up a glass of cold water and grabbed two cereal bars from the cupboard. She hopped back up the stairs, two at a time, trying her hardest not spill the water.

When she got back up to Annette's room, Annette was lying on the bed under her covers with her hands on her stomach.

She glanced up at Amber, acknowledging her presence, before snapping her gaze back down to her stomach.

Amber slowly sat down beside her on the bed, stretching her aching legs out in front of her. She handed her glass and a cereal bar. She watched intently as Annette guzzled the water down and smiled at her gratefully. She munched on the cereal bar and Amber began to eat her own.

They ate in silence until Annette had finished first. She smiled sheepishly at Amber.

"Thanks, Ambs." She said, passing Amber the cereal bar wrapper and the glass.

Amber shrugged. "It's okay. You're lucky Dad wasn't home."

Annette sighed. "I know. He's going to be home for the weekend tomorrow and I don't know I'm going to do."

"Aren't you going to tell him?" Amber asked.

She knew that Mr Riley wouldn't take the news well at all.