16

WHEN I WOKE UP Cassie and Ringer were leaving. I followed, there's no way I'm staying in this hell hole while they go off somewhere else.
     "Stay here." Cassie told me.
     "Not going to happen." I smirked.
     Ringer handed me a pellet. Some dead kid's tracker, "Let her come." she said.
     I slid the tracker into my mouth between my cheek and my teeth.
     We changed into the dead kids' uniforms. Somehow I was able to find one that fit me pretty well. Cassie wasn't so lucky. She struggled to keep her pants from sliding off her hips.
     "What if no one comes for the strike team?" Cassie asked.
     "Then we're screwed." Ringer responds, lacing up the boots she took off of one of the kids.
     Sam was all in for the plan, but Megan didn't say a word. She just stared up at me. I crouched down and hugged her, "It'll be fine." I whispered, "I'll come back to you."
     Zombie hovered over me. I could feel tears begin to well up. There's a very slim chance that I would die, but there was always the risk. He pulled me into a tight hug.
     I cried into his shoulder, "Take care of Megan."
     He held the back of my head, "I will."
     I wiped my tears. I had to do this, no matter how much I wanted to stay with Zombie; no matter how much it hurt to walk away.
      He cupped his hands around my face, "I love you."
      I kissed him, "I love you too."
     "Get a room." Cassie gagged.
     I let go of him. I'll come back to you. or I'll die trying. We grabbed piles of blankets while Ringer and Zombie went outside. He had to bury her. When we made it above ground I could hear the chopper, faint but getting louder.
     A hose stuck out of the ground where Ringer was being buried. I figured it was for her to breath through. I helped Zombie throw dirt into the hole. We finished, but Zombie struggled to make it back to the others. I dragged him over, whispering one more I love you before joining Cassie. We would be stuck under a dirty blanket until Ringer's signal.
      I saw her figure running toward the helicopter in the dark. I grabbed Cassie and pulled her up. We were sprinting at the chopper. I jumped up and grabbed onto the platform. I managed to swing myself up onto the platform where Ringer was already waiting. Where's Cassie? I looked over the edge to see her losing her grip. I reached down and took hold of her wrist just in time. I hauled her into the chopper.
     The pilot apparently recognized Ringer. Once again, she probably did something horrible to him, but we didn't have enough time for a story. She lurched forward, digging her thumb into his eye. Something was happening and whatever it was happened to be extremely weird. The 12th system. I remembered that Vosch had enhanced her.
     "Set her down!" Ringer yelled over the motor.
     The pilot obeyed, setting the chopper down outside of the caverns.
     I hate this place. I sighed. If another Constance shows up I'm going to shoot Ringer. I stepped out of the chopper and made my way into the Ohio Caverns. I settled down against a rock, allowing myself to rest just a little.

     Zombie, Megan, and Nugget were with us when I woke up. I smiled at Zombie when I saw him. Ringer had me sit with Nugget and Megan.
     "Did you fight any aliens?" Nugget questioned, nearly hopping in excitement.
      "Not yet." I laughed. I hope I don't have to. My laugh quickly faded. What are the odds that I'll actually make it to the base and make it back out alive.

EDITED

Go check out my other stories if you haven't already!

As always, if you enjoyed this chapter make sure to vote and leave a comment!