Chapter Ten

On his way to his gym locker on Monday morning, Tyler made a detour to Brandon’s locker.

            “Hey, Tyler,” Brandon said and offered him a big smile. When Tyler didn’t smile back, Brandon’s smile morphed to a frown. “What’s up?”

            “We can’t be friends if you send me text messages like that again.” 

            Brandon’s face turned a soft shade of red. “I wasn’t trying to make you mad.”

            “I’m not mad. It’s just that I told you I’m with someone, and I don’t think it’s cool for you to do that.”

            “I didn’t mean anything by it.”

            “I know, but I don’t want to disrespect Devin like that.”

            “I get it.”

            “Thanks.”  

            “Still friends?” 

            “Yeah, we’re still friends,” Tyler assured him. “Just don’t do it again, okay.”

            Brandon grinned at him. “I won’t.”

            Tyler felt as though the last of the huge boulders had just been lifted from his shoulders. The first one disappeared when Gabriel promised Tyler was his son no matter what happened. Then another one went away when he and Devin worked things out. Now that he’d drawn a clear line with Brandon, things were even better.

            The locker room was almost deserted by the time he finished changing into his gym clothes.

            Hope I don’t miss roll call, Tyler thought as he started down the aisle.

            Missing roll call meant you got marked absent, even if you were there, even if you showed up right after your name was called. It also meant you spent the whole period running laps around the track.

            He didn’t even make it to the end of his row when he came face to face with Austin and a couple of his buddies.

            “Where do you think you’re going?” Austin demanded.

            “Same place you’re going.”  

            “I don’t think so.”

            When Austin laughed, his buddies laughed too.