Chapter Seven

“So, Tyler, what are you doing this weekend?” Nikki asked.

            Tyler took a bite of his sandwich before answering. “Nothing, I’m on lockdown all weekend.”

            Both girls frowned at him.

            “What’d you do?” Lacy said.

            “I ditched first period on Monday,” he reminded them.

Tyler’s punishment for ditching school wasn’t anywhere near as bad he expected. His aunt and uncle said since he missed one class that meant one day of being grounded. That meant he couldn’t go out on Friday night, but he could still go out on Saturday if he wanted. It was such a light punishment, he almost felt bad about it. Then again, he didn’t feel that bad. It wasn’t like he ditched school to go make out with Devin. Besides, if his sister was right about Aunt Sarah changing her mind about fighting for guardianship then he’d done the right thing.

“That’s right,” Nikki said. “For the mystery woman in the black GT.”

“How do you know it was a girl?” Lacy challenged.

“You mean like he was sneaking off to meet a guy?” Nikki said. “That’s the craziest thing I ever heard.”

When Nikki started laughing, Tyler did too. With any luck, it would drown out the sound of his heart banging double time against his ribs. Nikki might have been laughing, but the way Lacy studied him it was like she was trying to get inside his head and see the truth.

I am not gay! Tyler shouted just in case she could see inside his head.

Saturday night, Tyler met up with Devin at Bluff Circle. The newest shopping center was set on the edge of town. Not long after it went up, it became one of the most popular hangouts for teens. The outdoor mall had all the right stores and restaurants to attract the youthful crowd that flocked there on weekends. It also had the only movie theater in town with twenty-five screens. It was the place to go to see the latest movies.

Though nobody knew why they named it Bluff Circle, Tyler and Devin had this theory that it had something to do with the huge roundabout that separated two parking lots of the shops. Watching confused motorists trying to navigate it was almost as entertaining as going to the stores or the movies. It really was a disaster waiting to happen. Tyler wasn’t there to watch motorists tonight though. Tonight he and Devin were seeing a movie and maybe getting something to eat after.

“What time’s your uncle picking you up?” Devin asked.

Tyler grinned at him. “You know the answer to that.”

“Ten thirty so I can make the eleven driving curfew?” 

“Yep,” Tyler said, and they both cracked up.

Not even Tyler’s super Christian parents were as strict about their rules as Uncle Gabriel was being. Tyler wasn’t even sure they knew about the driving curfew since they didn’t let him get his license. The fact that his uncle knew about it didn’t surprise him. Uncle Gabriel was one of those guys that not only knew everything, but he always seemed to have the right answer.

Even though the theater lines were packed, it didn’t take long to move through them. After they got inside, they headed straight to the snack bar for popcorn and sodas. That line took longer to get through than the ticket line did, but they still made it inside in plenty of time to get good seats.

They chose seats in the back row but not in the middle. They never sat in the middle. Instead, they sat in the furthest corner. If they were lucky enough not to have anyone sit close to them they could play their favorite game. How much touching can we do and not get caught? The game was dangerous, and they were always careful. Most of the time, one of them would just grab the other’s hand and hold it for as long as he was brave enough. About the time they both started to sweat, one would pull away. Looking down the aisle, Tyler could see they wouldn’t be doing much playing tonight. The Saturday night crowd was thick, and their aisle was already beginning to fill.