Chapter Nine

Before he left on Saturday night, Tyler spent a little extra time making sure he looked good. Normally, he wasn’t the kind of guy that did that, but he wanted to look good for Devin. He wanted to make sure Devin knew just how good he had it. Until the guardianship was finalized, and Tyler could show him, looking good was the best he could do. He even made his aunt and uncle drop him off a few minutes before he was supposed to meet up with Devin.

            Tyler couldn’t wait for the day when he could get his own car or at least get a license. It sucked to have his aunt and uncle drive him everywhere. When he spotted Devin’s car pull into the parking lot, it took all of his self-control not to break into a run and fling himself into Devin’s arms.

            “You want me to buy you some coffee, or are you waiting for someone else?” Devin asked as he came closer.

            Tyler shrugged. “I guess you can buy it if you want to.”

            Devin laughed. “Lucky me.”

            No, lucky me, Tyler thought as they entered the coffee house.  

             Already the place was starting to fill up. They’d gotten there early enough that there were still a few empty tables. Anyone coming in another hour would be lucky to get in the door let alone find a place to sit.

            “I’ll get the coffee while you get the table,” Tyler told Devin when the cashier placed two empty cups in front of them.

            At Coffee Café, the cashiers didn’t serve the customers, and there weren’t any waiters circling the room ready to offer refills to receding cups. The only time the cashiers got the drinks was if it was a specialty drink like a cappuccino or something. Otherwise, they handed out white ceramic cups for the customers to fill with their choice. They had regular and decaf and then a few special flavors. Refills were free, and despite how busy the place got, the oversized carafes remained bottomless.

            Tyler didn’t even have to ask what kind of coffee Devin wanted. No matter how many times they came, Devin always wanted the cinnamon crunch coffee. Tyler tried it only once and found it way too sweet. Plain ordinary coffee with just a splash of cream was enough for Tyler.

            “Cinnamon crunch,” Tyler said as he placed the cup in front of Devin.

            “Thanks,” Devin said and took a slow sip. “Man, I love this stuff.”

            Devin put his cup down and dropped his hands to his lap. It took only a few seconds for Tyler to feel Devin’s hand, still warm from the coffee cup, resting on his knee.

            “How was your dinner with your grandma?”

            “It was about what I expected. My grandma talked about all her health problems and how much she hates all her neighbors and crap like that.”

            Tyler laughed. “Sounds like fun.”

            “I got a free Chinese dinner out of the deal. Any news on the guardianship thing?”

            Tyler grinned at him before he took a sip of his coffee. He knew what Devin really wanted to know. How long before we can have sex?

            “The court investigator interviewed all of us last week. Now, we just have to wait until we go before the judge.”

            “Is your Aunt Sarah still staying out of it?”