Chapter Three

Since his uncle didn’t make him go to school, Tyler slept in late Friday morning. When he finally did wake up, his whole body felt refreshed. Even his mind felt clear, like he didn’t have anything to worry about except for getting something to eat. First, he needed to do something about the throbbing boner that was there to greet him every morning. That was easy enough. In less than two minutes, he blew his load to thoughts of the way Devin kissed him and touched him the other night on the couch. As soon as he did, he realized his dilemma. There was no where to deposit his donation.

            I need to get a box of tissue in here, he thought as he released it into one of his new T-shirts.

            Tyler pulled a pair of pajama pants over his boxers and started for the kitchen. The sound of his grandfather’s voice made him pause in the hallway.

            “You need to send him home, Gabriel.” 

            “He is home.” 

            “You don’t know the first thing about raising a child.” 

            “Neither do Mary and Tom. You should’ve seen him the other night, Dad. Tom beat him black and blue.”

            “Your brother-in-law may have overreacted, but I’m sure you can agree it was understandable given the shock of the sin he’d just witnessed.” 

            Tyler expected this reaction from his grandpa. T.J. Lincoln wasn’t just his grandpa. He was also the pastor of FirstCommunityBaptistChurch. His grandpa was the reason his parents were so religious and maybe even the reason they wouldn’t accept him.

            “I don’t care how shocked he was,” Gabriel countered. “That didn’t give him the right to beat the kid up, and I’m not letting him put his hands on Tyler ever again.”

            “You do realize what this is going to do to the rest of the family, don’t you?”

            “It’s not going to do anything.”

            “It’s going to cause a rift that might not be repaired.”

            “Are you saying you won’t have anything to do with us then?”

            “You know me better than that. When you renounced your Christian faith and married an atheist, I didn’t turn my back on you. I did increase my prayers for you, and I’ll do the same for Tyler because this is not the Christian way.”

            “That’s fine, Dad,” Gabriel said and heaved a sigh. “I have something for you.”

            “What’s this?” T.J. said after a moment’s pause.

            “It’s a letter for you and Mom explaining my intention to become Tyler’s legal guardian. Since he has living relatives, I’m obligated to take this step before the court will grant the petition.”

            “I don’t have any intention of fighting you on this,” T.J. said, and Tyler exhaled. “I want to stay as far out of this as possible.”

            “That’s probably a good idea,” Gabriel said.

            Tyler thought so too. The last thing he wanted was for his grandpa to get to his uncle and convince him to change his mind.

            “Hey, Uncle Gabe,” Tyler called.

            He waited until his grandpa was long gone before he joined his uncle in the kitchen.