Chapter 18

Jax looked at Vanessa shocked. He was silent as his eyes zoned in on her now flat, toned stomach and he thought maybe he could actually see the small bump forming, but it was only his eyes playing tricks on him. His blues eyes slowly made their way back up to her face where she was looking at him concerned. He couldn't even imagine what his face looked like as it was nowhere near that of a sympathetic husband. Her whiskey eyes were uncharacteristically bright given the situation, however, and he could admit it unsettled him. He felt a little nauseous, if he was going to be honest with himself.

As he stared at his wife and looked at her stomach and did the mental calculations, he couldn't help himself from asking. "Is it mine?"

Vanessa looked at him in surprise as her brows furrowed and her facial expression hardened. "You did not just ask me that." She pressed slowly and lowly. Her nostrils were flared and the tip of her nose was becoming redder by the second.

"It's a valid question." He replied even though he knew the child was no way Heath's.

He should've seen it coming, but he wasn't prepared for the hard slap she gave him, on the left side of his face, which caused him to whip his head to the side. He could admit it stung and he felt his eyes water slightly from the force. Vanessa was heavy handed. And he being the recipient of a couple slaps before he was reminded why he never tried to piss her off too much. Her slaps fucking hurt.

He turned back to her with a clenched jaw as she continued to glare at him.

"You know why I slept with Heath, Jackson?" Vanessa asked him and Jax's eyes narrowed at the mention of that asshole. He really didn't want to hear about his wife being with another man. However, it wasn't as if she really cared what he wanted to hear or his feelings. "It was to hurt you, baby, the same reason why you slept with Ima and all those pornstars and croweaters here in fucking Charming and on a run. So tell me how does that feel to know that another man has been inside me?"

"Stop," Jax warned her with a clenched jaw as his nostrils flared.

Vanessa continued her eyes ablaze with anger. "Let's make this perfectly clear Jax, for every woman willing to open their legs for you, there is a man wanting to open mine. I can't even name how many men were lining up once it became public we were separated."

"Vanessa, please just the fuck up." Jax pleaded with her. She was stating things he already knew and was well aware of. It was a fact he chose to ignore or considering she was his wife he had no problem in reminding other men she was, in fact, married to him.

"Why does it hurt you, baby, to think about my legs wrapped around another man's body while he fills me with his cum?" She taunted.

"You've made your fucking point, Nes." Jax snapped as he stood up from the bed and ran his hands through his hair. He reminded himself that he deserved this. He deserved every word that she was throwing at him, but it still hurt. And he felt he didn't do enough damage to Heath thinking about that man being inside his wife.

"By the way, you're sleeping on the fucking couch." Vanessa said as she walked away from him and slammed the bathroom door shut and he was sure the whole house rattled.

______________________

Jax had the distinct feeling he was being watched. After much tossing and turning on the couch, in the living room, he was finally able to fall asleep, which only felt like thirty minutes ago. He was tempted to go look into a new leather couch to buy, as he didn't know how long it would take to be broken in for him to get a restful sleep. And he was too tired to care about someone watching him sleep in his living room. So he ignored it as if Vanessa was still pissed at him, he was already in for a shitty day. He didn't want to be tired on top of it.