Chapter 12

Vanessa didn't even spare Jax a glance as she looked at her buzzing phone and proceeded to leave the room. Like they both knew, identity unknown to Jax, it was Heath calling. The call went to voicemail and she was surprised to see she had 10 missed calls from him along with 10 texts.

She walked further down the hallway and eventually found a bathroom where she locked herself in the handicap stall. She even turned on the sink as if someone walked it the water would drown out some of the conversation she knew that might not be pleasant. Or better yet, if Jax sent a prospect to have their ear to the door.

Vanessa unlocked her phone and pressed the call back button. He answered his phone on the first ring.

"Are you okay? I heard what happened to Abel." Heath said with clear sadness and worry in his tone.

Vanessa leaned against the wall as she looked up at the white ceiling. "Yeah, it was just an episode with his heart. He is doing fine now."

"God, I'm so sorry. I should have never messed you-"

"Heath, it's over." Vanessa said cutting him off and on both ends of the phone there was complete silence besides the water running from her end.

"What?"

Vanessa took a deep breath as she began walking in a circle in the spacious stall. "I think it's time we ended this. I don't think I can give you what you need or want. I know I'll only hurt you in the end. You've been such a good friend – support – "

"Vanessa, stop." Heath said blankly and she did as she waited for his words. She heard him sigh a couple of times before he seemed to compose himself. "He found out, didn't he?"

"That's not the point, Heath. He has nothing to do with this." Vanessa said deflecting as the words were some version of the truth. Despite Jax's reaction, all him doing finding out was a catalyst to what she had been feeling lately regarding Heath.

"He has everything to do with this," he argued. "Did he do anything to you?" He suddenly asked and Vanessa was slightly pissed and concerned that a lot of people were assuming Jax would become violent with her.

"No," the disgust was clearly heard at the accusation. "He didn't and he would never do that to me."

Heath released a humorless chuckle. "You're going back to him aren't you?"

"It isn't like that." And frankly it wasn't any of his concern.

"So tell me what was it like?" He asked sarcastically. "I know he is probably pissed and frankly I'm surprised he isn't breaking down my door." Vanessa was silent on the other end as she didn't want to confirm or deny it, but her silence gave him his answer. "He doesn't know it's me does he?"

"Heath, can you not make this any harder than it needs to be." She pleaded softly.

"Can we at least talk in person?"

"Not now," Vanessa informed before she promptly hung up her phone and turned off the faucets.

She looked in the mirror and she wished she had some makeup because she looked pale and exhausted. She looked terrible and felt even worse. But to cover her tracks she deleted her call log of all Heath's calls and his thread of text messages.

She walked back to Abel's room, where Thomas was up and in Jax's lap doing his favorite hobby and pulling on Jax's beard. Every time Jax would make a pained face, Thomas would erupt in giggles.

"Why do you like hurting daddy so much?" Jax asked innocently to his son.

"You make silly faces." Thomas pointed out before giving Jax a hard tug.