Chapter 6

Chapter 6

We walked through the hall with our heads held high, except Scottie, who was playing his part well. He stumbled along the stone corridors with tough resistance and I was forced to push him sometimes. Guards didn’t suspect us as we marched and it made me feel invincible. We made it to a hallway so close to the exit when the sirens blared.

“Looks like they found the dead guard.” Ian said casually. “See you later, kid. I’ve got some prisoners to ‘catch’!” he laughed at the last part and was about to run off when I caught his arm.

“Where do we go!?”

“Outside! Charlie should have marked the meeting spot with a black shirt.” Then he ran off. I turned to Scottie and helped him slip off his shackles and we sprinted towards the large double doors that led to freedom. Surprisingly, they opened easily and we ran right out. Now, how the hell are we supposed to spot a black shirt in the dead of night? Every twenty feet was a tall guard tower with bright lights scanning the grounds.

“We need to time it right” I suggested, not actually sure if I was right.

“Just like video games…” Scottie nodded.

“yeah, except there aren’t any second chances. Let me know if you see a black shirt, Ian said that’s where his friend is.” Scottie nodded.

The double doors behind us swung open and Scottie and I both threw ourselves to the right into the bushes. A small unit of soldiers ran out and scouted the perimeter. They lined up in front of the chain fence with barbed wire on the top and pointed their guns, ready for anything. Okay, think. We are in a prison with probably every type of security system ever thought of, we are looking for a black shirt that would signal where Charlie is, and basically we’re screwed.

“Ever see a video game like this, Scottie?”

“No, but I think if we can create a distraction we might have a chance.” Scottie, who used to play video games in all his spare time, was definitely right. If we could create a distraction that would divert there attention towards a different direction, we should be able to slip by unnoticed. It was almost on cue that two men in the line guarding the fence dropped to the ground dead.

I didn’t notice it as I was still looking for the black shirt but Scottie poked me hard in the side and caught my attention. The two soldiers that dropped down were a good distance away from us, easily causing a distraction. Men started rushing over to find whoever shot the other two. A large gap was left for us to go through, minus one soldier. He kept his gun leveled and ready to shoot. I inched forward with Scottie. That’s when I noticed the little black shirt wavering in the wind sticking to the barbed wire. I looked at Scottie and he nodded, ready to finally get out of here.

As if we planned the whole thing, we sprang into action. Scottie threw a rock to direct the soldier’s attention while I tackled him to the ground, dodging the watch tower lights. The man tried to scream and I quickly seized his gun and knocked him out without much effort. I pulled the unconscious soldier into the corner and pulled his thick jacket off and threw it over the barbed wire. I motioned for Scottie to come and soon I was hoisting him up over with me following close behind.

It felt like a giant weight was off my shoulders as soon as I dropped down from the fence. We were no longer in that hell hole. Yes, we were still standing right next to it, but being on the other side of the fence, the free side, it was relieving. And we just waited. Waited for Charlie to show up and lead us away. If Charlie didn’t show, then I would just take Scottie and leave.

A small figure came through the woods and I immediately recognized the girl. It was the girl from earlier with the red hair standing next to Maura. Not going to lie, I was shocked. She couldn’t be any older than 15. Her red hair wasn’t as noticeable in the darkness but you could still tell it was an unnatural color. Her bright eyes locked with mine then she looked at Scottie.

“You ready to go?” Scottie was about to answer but I just cut him off.

“Whoa, what about Ian? Aren’t we going to wait for him!?”

“Ian isn’t coming, he plans on staying.” she looked away for a little and I could tell she was a bit upset about his decision.

“But why?”

“I’ll explain later, we need to go. Now.” she grabs Scottie’s hand knowing I would immediately follow and walked off into the woods. It was very difficult to see in all the pitch black darkness and I kept getting whacked in the face with branches. They didn’t mean to, of course, but it still hurt. We had nothing but a 15 year girl leading us with no light and no way of knowing where we are going. How did we know if we could actually trust her? Charlie could be working with Maura for god’s sake. I’m not one to take risks like that.

I kept trying to keep quiet as we wandered through the woods but it seemed like everywhere I stepped was a stick that was just dying to make a loud snap! Maybe about a half hour later into our trek, we decided to stop and rest. It was Scottie’s idea and I can promise that if it was me asking for a break we would have kept on going. I’ve noticed that no one is able to resist Scottie’s cuteness, including me. And obviously Charlie wasn’t any different. It was really suspicious how close they seemed for just meeting now…

“So what is your name?” Charlie asks me. I instantly noticed how she specifically asked me instead of asking both of us which probably means she already knew Scottie’s name.

“Caleb… and this is Scottie.” I hinted about their friendship.

“Nice to meet you, Caleb. I’m Charlie. Scottie and I met previous to your escape.” So that’s where Scottie was when he was two hours late to his cell.

“What about?”

“Just our escape plan; we figured it would look less suspicious if we told him ahead of time our plan and just fill you in along the way.”

“Yeah, let’s not do that again.” I say with a smile. I hoped she understood I just meant that I like knowing what’s happening and not that I was insulting her in any way.

“We’ll try not to.” she also smiled. I looked up at the night sky. I was able to see it more clearly now that we were in a small clearing. The stars were bright and the moon was a little dull. It was almost dawn and the sun would rise soon. I could see Charlie more clearly, too. She wore a jacket over the clothes she had on earlier and a small bag slung over her shoulder. It was a small duffle bag that looked like it was stuffed to it’s full capacity. Charlie seemed like a smart girl so I’m positive she just packed the essentials.

Charlie also looked towards the sky before glancing at a small watch clipped to the duffle bag. “It’s about 4 in the morning. How about we get some sleep?” Scottie and I nodded and watched as she unpacked the bag. Three camouflage sleeping bags with some canned food and six bottled waters. “I found these before I left. We can sleep unnoticed for about four hours.”

“Four hours?” whined Scottie.

“Yes, four hours. That’s enough for us to get some sleep and regain our strength. We need to keep moving to avoid getting caught.” As soon as Charlie mentioned the getting caught part, Scottie stopped whining and went straight to getting his sleeping bag ready. “I have some beef jerky you can have before you sleep but I want to save the canned food for breakfast.”

I took two pieces for me and three pieces for Scottie. It wasn’t much but at least it was something to have before falling into a fitful sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N- srry this took long, but here it is! i'm working on the next one and hopefully i will upload tonight or tomorrow :)