Chapter 4

Chapter 4 ~Caleb’s P.O.V~

I woke up feeling sick to my stomach, almost as if I would throw up. Clenching my stomach, I rolled over and pressed my head to the cold floor. It felt nice on my feverish forehead, and the position I was in kept my stomach feeling stable. Once my stomach felt more stable, I sat with my back against the wall on the cell and looked around. I was alone in the darkly lit cell with only a few fire torches. A sleeping bag was placed in the corner of the room with the most deformed pillow I had ever seen.

Outside the cells were some fluorescent lights that hung crooked from the ceiling. I could make out about three guards sitting on a wooden table placed in the middle of the room and across but the rest was too dark to see. I could hear voices calling out, one in particular; Scottie.

“Caleb? Caleb, where are you?” He called out frantically, which caused me to scramble to the cell bars and find where the voice was coming from.

“I’m here, Scottie. Are you okay, did they hurt you?” It was silent and my ears twitched with anticipation.

“Yeah, I..I think I’m fine. I feel like I’m going to throw up, though… Caleb, where are you? I can’t see clearly.”

“Don’t worry, buddy, they are just side effects. I’m in another cell, but I’m nearby, don’t worry.”

“I can’t remember what happened after the lady touched my head, it’s all fuzzy… I’m scared, Caleb, I want my mom.”

I started to think back to when Grace touched my head, too, but everything went fuzzy. All I remembered was that I found out something important. It bugged me how I couldn’t remember. I knew that what I found was highly important and I needed it, but I couldn’t grasp it.

“Caleb…? Are you there?”

“Yeah, buddy, I’m here still, and I’m not leaving.”

“Where’s my mom?”

“I don’t know, Scottie.” I said in a hoarse voice, it was soft, but I knew he heard me when he started to sob silently. I could hear his breathing quicken and there was nothing I could do, I couldn’t even hold him.

“It’s okay, Scottie, I’m not going to let them get you.” I whispered the last part, silently promising that I won’t let them do anything to Scottie. It went silent then, and I knew Scottie had nothing else to say. He was a quiet boy; only spoke when he had a lot on his mind, except when he was with me. But at the moment, no one was allowed to know what the little boy was thinking, including me, which rarely happened.

I looked over at the guards sitting on the wooden table. They were playing cards, although I wasn’t paying attention to what game. Only one of them held the keys to the cells and I only knew that because it jingled when ever that one man moved. He also fidgeted with it every now and then to check that they were still there. The other two were just there to help things under control.

Finally, after what seemed like an hour of nothing happening, a man walked into the cell block and spoke quietly with the lead guard. The others stood stiffly, waiting for orders. I sat a little straighter and listened closely.

“Guard-Captain Ian, orders from Maura to bring all prisoners to execution right away.” The man stated simply.

“Yes, right away.” Guard-Captain Ian said, saluting. The reporting officer then turned on his heels and left.

“What are you two waiting for? Gather ‘Em up.” Guard-Captain Ian shooed the others to get to work.