Phone Call and Unexpected Guests (Edited)

A cool breeze sweeps through the peaceful neighborhood. On a dead end street stands a two story ranch style home. The drapes and blinds in the windows were shut and no lights are on. There are no furniture on the porch and the lawn is over grown. Plant beds looked like weed beds, and dead leaves and vegetation could be seen throughout the lawn. Unbeknown to the sleeping occupant guests were on their way.          

Buzz….buzz. A slow groan is heard in the darkness. Buzz….buzz. Movement, a click, and the lamp light is on. Buzz….buzz.

“Yah…………who’s this?” A voice answers.

“Billy? ……..it’s Tommy”

“Yah…….What time is it?” Glancing at the clock it reads 2:11 AM. Really, he is calling me at two in the frickin morning.

“It’s two in the dam morning Tommy! Why are you calling me?" 

To the average person this is a reasonable question. However, there was a double meaning to it. In Billy’s case circumstances granted him the right to leave his pack and live a life of solitude. So why was his brother calling him.

It’s been five years since anyone has heard or contacted him. Five years since Billy started aging again. Most importantly.........five years since his mates’ death. He has lived many centuries and now it was coming to an end.

With uncertainty Tommy stutters, “You’re right but….. I need to ask a favor…..no not a favor…..I mean it’s important.”

 “Yah, that much I figured out…..not like we been speaking to each other since…….you know.” Billy answers.

With a sigh Tommy replies, “Yah…..I know.” It’s been long since they spoke to one another.

“So, what you need Tommy?” Billy asks.

With a nervous voice Tommy replies, “Sorry to do this to you bro.......but Moon is......he is on his way with...... something Lilly always wanted.”

By now Billy is wide awake. Sitting on his bed he starts thinking over the cryptic message. A thought crosses his mind. Billy can't believe his brothers meaning, but if he was correct......... then it meant..... NO! It couldn't be! He is dumbfounded with the only answer he could come up with. Lilly only ever wanted one thing......a baby!

Billy yells into the phone, “WHAT! WHY? I……can’t…......I….”

Memory after memory begin to cloud his mind as he thinks of his mate. The one thing she wanted. The smile on her face and then.........and then her dying. Lilly had died trying to give birth to their son. Both mother and child had died.

Tommy's voice interrupts his thoughts, “I know bro.....I miss her.....I miss her too, but Moon is on his way.” he stutters.

Rubbing his temple with his free hand Billy. In truth he didn't understand why he was the solution to whatever they needed. What the heck were they thinking? Didn't he suffer enough?

“I don’t know about this Tommy. It’s been five years since……” His voice cracks unable to finish.

“Billy, I don’t know what to say, but...........I am here for you bro. Just......just take care of yourself.” Tommy says with a slight quiver in his voice.

Being twins made them closer than most siblings. They were halves of a whole. When they found their mates then they became whole with their mates. Yet, there still was a clear bond between brothers. Now they only shared a normal pack bond and no longer that inseparable bond.

“Yah, I will..... So when will he be here?” Billy asked casually as he began to stand from his bed.

With a slight pause Tommy answers, “He should be there in about an hour.”