Chapter 14 - Queer Lodgings

Vanáezae awoke and found herself covered in hay. Vanadessë was leaning over her. She had a grin that made Vanáezae suspicious.

"Did you throw this hay on me?" She asked.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Just to see how fast you would notice and because I was wondering what you would do."

Vanáezae nodded. Honestly she would do the same thing. She got out of the hay and began to brush herself off, trying to get as much off as possible. She noticed that most of the company were beginning to gather near a doorway. Vanadessë brushed some hay from Vanáezae's hair and the two were finished. Before Vanadessë could go to the rest of the company she was stopped by Vanáezae calling her name. She turned around and was met with a large handful of hay to her face. Vanáezae laughed and hurried towards the company, Vanadessë following after her. When they met up with the rest of the group, she noticed Bilbo missing.

"What are we doing?" She asked, gathering everyone's attention.

"Ah! About time you two woke up!" Gandalf sighed. "We were just about to meet our host! And here we have it! Bilbo, there you are."

All heads turned towards Bilbo who had just joined the group.

"Now this will require some delicate handling. We must tread very carefully. The last person who startled him was torn to shreds."

An uneasiness passed through the group as the sound of an axe cutting wood seemed to back up Gandalf's statement. Everyone shared worried glances.

"I will go first, uh, Bilbo you come with me."

Bilbo paled slightly but stepped up next to Gandalf. "Is this a good idea?"

"Yes now the rest of you just wait here and don't come out until I give the signal."

"Right. Wait for the signal," Bofur nodded, looking out the window.

"And no sudden movement or loud noises. And don't overcrowd him. Only come out in pairs. Wait, actually, Bombur, um, you count as two so you should come out alone."

Bombur nodded in acceptance but didn't argue.

"Remember, wait for the signal."

Gandalf and Bilbo left all too early because Bofur of course had to ask:

"What signal would that be?"

Then the company arranged themselves in groups of two. Vanáezae and Vanadessë ended up together right after Balin and Dwalin. Suddenly Bofur motioned for Balin and Dwalin to go forward.

"Go, go, go!"

Balin and Dwalin hurried out the door. The two women stepped up to the doorway and waited for their own signal. Bofur told them to go almost seconds over Balin and Dwalin. They immediately stepped out the door and stood next to Balin and Dwalin. Vanáezae watched as Gandalf held out a hand and Oin and Gloin followed after them.

"Ah! Here is more of our happy troop!"

One could easily tell Gandalf was nervous.

"You call six a troop?" Demanded the very tall man.

Vanáezae recognized the man as Beorn. Before she knew it Dori and Ori joined them, then Fili and Kili, followed by Nori, Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur.

"Is that it?" Asked Beorn. "Are there any more?"

Vanáezae watched Thorin walk more calmly than his kin out of the doorway. Beorn narrowed his eyes at the dwarf.

**********