Chapter 4

The goodbyes were so hard, I remember. We were only going to be gone for four weeks but the parents were crying like we were going off to college. The siblings of course were sitting far away acting as if they didn't know us, but that was understandable. I didn't want to be associated with them anyway at the time. Too many people were staring. It was making me self conscious and I know that Abby was feeling the same way. Our plane was finally announced over the intercom and we were able to peel ourselves away from the families with a few final goodbyes.

Abby couldn't sit still in her seat. She was bouncing up and down like a little kid.

"Dang Abby. You're just as bad as our parents. I don't know if I want people seeing me with you," I said with a smirk.

"Oh come on, Mer! You can't tell me that you're not excited! You have to be! WE'RE GOING TO BE IN CALIFORNIA IN A FEW HOURS!!"

"Goodness! Stop yelling! Before they kick us off the plane!"

"Sorry," Abby had said in a quiet voice.

My words had more of an effect on her than I thought they would. She had such a look of terror on her face at the prospect of being thrown off the plane. She barely said a word for the next hour except to ask the attendant for a glass of water.

"Oh come on Ab. You know I was kidding right? We're not going to get kicked off the plane. We're already up in the air, it'd be impossible for them to. So jump around and yell all you want."

Abby's face lost all of it's tension and she started talking excitedly to the person sitting on her left. I have to remember to be careful of what I say to Abby. She's so gullible and child like. I have to remember, I have to do better. She looked so happy talking to that girl. The girls name Tristen. She was going to California to visit her dad over the summer. She'd been there before and knew her way around.

"Hey, Mer. Tristen's going to be staying with her dad which is like just a couple miles away from where we're staying. Maybe we could hang out and she could show us around and maybe introduce us to some cute surfer dudes huh?"

Abby's elbow was hurting my side but I ignored it and smiled.

"Yeah sure that would be cool. Whatever makes you happy."

Thinking of Abby makes my sides hurt. How long has it been since she's been gone. Three days? Only three days. It's seems like it was forever ago and yet just yesterday. Childish, gullible Abby isn't with me anymore. "They" didn't like her. "They" are very particular with who "they" like. I was one of the lucky ones. Well, if you call it lucky I guess. I don't. I'd rather be with Abby. Abby. I think about those clear chocolate eyes and more tears fall out of mine.

I hate goodbyes.