Chapter 1

School had been out for a couple of weeks now and the summer was bliss. Abby and I had started our tans early, as soon as it had gotten warm and we were out tanning next to my pool. We were looking pretty good so far. Our skin was a nice caramel color and the sum was putting blonde highlights in my light brown hair. Abby’s hair was jet back so she didn’t get highlights in the summer but her hair was still beautiful, of course. With us both being serious athletes we had that slim, muscular bodies. All in all we were looking pretty hot and there was a reason for that too.

“I can’t wait until Friday!”

Abby jumped out of her chain and flipped the book I was reading out of my hands.

“Geez, yeah I am too but there’s no need to ruin my new book,” I said as I picked up and brushed off my book.

“Oh come on! How can you read when we’re leaving for California in just two more day?! Two more days, Mar, and then we’ll be lounging on a beach in our bikinis and surrounded by hot surfer dudes.

I couldn’t help but laugh at her somewhat childish excitement.

“Yeah, Abby, I agree it will be wonderful, but I can read because our tickets are bought, and paid for, our hotel is booked and I packed everything I needed a week ago so I have nothing to do but eat, sleep, tan and read.”

I smirked at her and she looked at the pool uncertainly.

“You packed a week ago?”

“Yeah have you not finished yet?”

“Well….not exactly….”

“Abby….have you even started packing.”

Abby grinned sheepishly at me.

“I’ll um…. I’ll see you later,” she muttered before dashing through the gate and out to her car.

I shook my head as I sat back down with my book. Poor scatter-brained Abby. True she normally turned in assignments and such on time, she procrastinated so much she barely had time to do a decent project.

“Where’s the fire?” my father asked as he stepped out on the patio.

“Oh now where, she just had some last minute packing to do,” I chuckled.

My dad laughed, “Of course that girl would. Well, I guess it’s just us then. May I escort you to dinner, Miss?”

I slipped my arm through his, “You may, kind sir.”

We had walked inside laughing all the way.