Chapter 1.4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter  1.4

'I set fire, to the rain. And I threw us, into the flame' 

Aminat listened to Laila sing along to Adele's song 'Set Fire to the Rain'. She sang horribly. Like a cat that  was run over and taken out of the street, only to be drowned afterwards. It was that bad. And to make it worse, she sang the whole time they drove switching between Beyoncé's 'Halo' to Adele's 'Rumor Has It' to Lauryn Hill's 'Doo Wop That Thing', all of which were on her iPod. Sadly, It was probably the last operating iPod in the world.

Aminat was getting really annoyed with her squeaking so she sighed and gripped the steering wheel tighter. They'd been in the BETS for 5 hours now and she'd either talked or sang (strangled a drowning cat) the whole time. She just wanted silence so she could collect herself and think about everything that has happened  so far. Most importantly: Who is HE? 

She sighed. "Are you annoyed or something?" Laila asked when she turned down the music.

"No," YES. "not really. Just tired." Aminat said and yawned loudly to prove her point. It was about a quarter after three and they were only about halfway up the mountain. Jabari suggested that they get to higher ground because according to their Father's map, there's a valley here that should have a spring and plenty of land on the plateau. Plus it's well hidden.

"Oh okay. Why don't we stop for the night." Leila suggested

"Because we aren't there yet." She said in a 'duh' tone. "And we don't know what's out there."

Laila sighed. "AIways the cautious one." She muttered quietly. "I'll be damned if I let you kill me by driving off this mountain because you fell asleep at the wheel." She countered, giving her sister the stink eye.

"I won't. I got this under control." Aminat said stubbornly. There was no way she was going to stop. Their father wanted them to get up that mountain and that's exactly what she planned on doing.

Laila sighed at her stubbornness and before she could stop her, she'd already pressed the speaker that connected their BETS to Jabari's.

"What's up?" His soothing, carefree voice said through the speaker.

"Lil' miss stubborn over here doesn't want to admit that she's tired and needs to stop for the night."

"I am not that tired!" Aminat said to both of them.

"You did have a really long day Minat. I think we should stop." He said.

"But-"

"No buts! I'm pulling over." He said in his big-brother-in-charge voice turning his BETS into the miniature 'forest' that's on the mountain. Since she was following him, she automatically went in the same way he did. He drove around a bit, maneuvering through the trees until he found a small clearing where he parked near a large pine tree. He turned off his BETS and climbed out of the door. Laila and Aminat soon followed suit. 

"I'm going to go get some fire wood. You and Laila get out something to sleep on and something to eat." Jabari said when he reached them. Laila nodded and went to open the code locked trunk. Jay began to stroll into the woods.

"Don't forget a weapon!" Aminat called after him. He stopped in his tracks and jogged towards his BETS to grab a sword. He then walked back to the woods, giving his sister a thumbs up over his head. She smiled at his retreating figure and went over to the back of her BETS where Laila was grabbing up materials for a makeshift bed. Aminat was by no means a home body. She wasn't good at sewing or hair or anything that had a girly pretense. She was a tom-boy through and through and very proud of it.