Prologue

"Will he be okay?" Keith asked, looking nervously at the boy in the pod.

"Eventually. He'll need time to heal. With injuries like his, it's surprising that the healing pod is able to make a dent in it." Coran looked wearily at the bloody bandage wrapped around Lance's shoulder, sighing as the events replayed in his head.

"I should have gotten there sooner, guys. If I had, maybe I could have helped him." Pidge said quietly, not looking up as Keith turned towards her angrily.

"You should've been focusing on helping the rest of the team, not trying to track down a family you'll never find." He spat, glaring at her. She still kept her eyes focused on the floor.

"Pidge, maybe you could've been more battle-ready." Hunk said from across the room.

"I'm sorry." She said, almost whispering. "I'll do better." Allura shook her head.

"If all you do on this ship is try to track down your family, then you're not useful as a part of the team." Her voice had an edge to it that even she didn't expect. Pidge shook for a moment, and a couple of tears fell on the metal floor before she ran out.

"Keith, please go after her." Shiro said, looking at the ground.

"No, I'm going to let her go. If she wants to run like a baby, she can. The rest of us will stay and be a team, and she can join us when she realizes that Zarkon won't wait until she's rescued her family to attack." Keith said angrily, turning back to the pod with Lance in it.

Just outside the door, Pidge felt tears sliding down her face, and it was all she could do not to burst out sobbing in the hallway. Instead, she walked quietly to her hangar.

"What is it, Allura?" Shiro asked as a light started flashing on the ship's control console.

"The green lion has left it's hangar!" She said. "Why would she leave?"

"You pushed her to tears, that's why. You took the only thing she's been a part of and told her she wasn't good at it." Shiro said coldly. "If there was a chance that Alfor was still out there, that he was alive and didn't know that you had left your planet, wouldn't you search for him?" Allura nodded slowly.

"Why didn't you go after her, then? If you understand what she's thinking so well, then why didn't you go help her or tell us to stand down?!" Keith shouted.

"Because while she did nothing wrong, she's almost always too passive when it comes to her teammates. Whether I like it or not, if I want this team to work together, I have to let her stand up for herself."

"All you've let her do is run away." Keith hissed, storming out of the room.

"She'll come back, right?" Hunk asked, looking at Shiro expectantly. He didn't answer.