Chapter 14: Back to Where I Came From

2 ½ hours of driving later, the van pulls into the rehab parking lot. Francine rolls my suitcase and duffel bag while I hold my prosthetics on my lap. We return to my old room. There’s a new patient in here. Kayla. Francine puts my bags on my bed and leaves us to do an introduction on our own.

“I’m Melissa.”

“Hi. I’m Kayla. They said I was getting a new roommate today,” she says with an over enthusiastic smile on her face. “Finally,” she quickly adds. The way she is sitting on her bed leads me to believe she is paralyzed from the waist down. She seems to be supporting herself a lot with her wrists.

“How old are you?” I ask. She looks around 15.

“I just turned 17 last month. What about you?” she ask.

“I’ll be 17 in 4 months. I’ve been here before. My life is a mess so this is all I have left. But at least I know the area. Anyway, what kinds of things do you like to do? I mean your hobbies or interests.” I ask, breaking the awkward tension between us.

“I love reading. My all-time favourite book has to be Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper. Ever heard of it?” Kayla questions.

I shake my head.

“It’s really good. It’s about this girl named Melody and she’s in a wheelchair. She has CP. She can’t walk or talk. It basically just talks about the barriers she faces and how she deals with the preconceived opinions of those around her, including friends, peers and teachers at school. I think you would really enjoy it Melissa. I have it if you ever want to borrow it,” Kayla explains.

“OK thanks. It definitely sounds like something I would read. I read a lot of Sarah Dessen, Susanne Colasanti, you know, the kind of love story thing.” I say, trying to think of another question to ask Kayla.

“I don’t know if they told you or not but they’re organizing a trip to the mall tomorrow. You have to sign up with Francine if you want to go. I’m going to stay here. I need to catch up on my exercises.” Kayla says.

“I might go. I want to see if anyone from when I was here before is still here. I don’t know if you know Samara Jacobs or Taylor Mason, but they were both here when I was here last.”

“Actually Taylor is a mentor here. I don’t think I know anyone named Samara though.” Kayla says.

Over the next couple of days, Kayla and I find that we have much more in common than originally thought. We start going out for lunch together at some of the smaller restaurants around the rehab. I feel very comfortable being out in public with Kayla. She doesn’t have a guide dog, but I think she is more comfortable knowing that Otis is confident leading me.