Chapter 6: Going Home

A few days later, I am finally allowed to go home. My dad doesn’t say anything on the way home, and Otis sleeps for most of the ride.

At home, I am showered with gifts and hugs and through it all Otis sits right beside me. After most of my family leaves, it’s down to just my grandparents. They have a lot of questions, and I can see that my dad is getting increasingly irritated.

Finally, he stands up.

“I’m picking Matthew up from soccer,” he says, walking out.

My grandma shakes her head.

“You know Melissa, it’s going to take a while for him to accept this, but for now you just have to focus on recovering. Know that I’m more than happy to drive you around if you need anything.” She says.

“OK thanks,” I say, realizing that I can’t count on Dad for much right now, understandably.

The door opens a few minutes later. Matthew runs into the room but Dad stays in the kitchen.

“Melissa you’re home!” he exclaims.

Otis stands over me. I lean forward to give my brother a hug.

“Grandma, I’m going to go for a walk with Matthew and Otis. We have lots to catch up on,” I say.

Matthew is beaming with a smile from ear to ear. Grandma smiles and nods in approval. I follow my brother outside. He likes the new ramp. We head down the driveway and onto the sidewalk.

“So Matty, what have I missed?” I ask.

“My team won the championship!” he exclaims.

“Wow that’s great! I’m really sorry I couldn’t be there,” I say.

“It’s OK, you were getting better. I like the colour of your chair by the way, and I wasn’t expecting a dog! Dad hasn’t said a word for weeks,” he says.

“Thanks. I didn’t really have a choice,” I say, looking at the black frame. “I’m probably going to cover it with stickers or something. Anyway, what has Dad said? I know this whole situation is kind of hard for you to understand, but it will all make sense with time,” I say.

Matthew is 13, but sometimes I forget that. I still just see him as my baby brother. I’m hoping this experience will bring us closer.

“Can I ask you something?” he asks.

I stop my chair. I look up.

“The day that you know…that thing happened…what was going through your head? You must have been terrified. I know I was and I didn’t see the whole thing…” he says.

“It was pretty scary. When I fell in the middle of the road I just thought to myself that driver better be paying attention. But I was in pain from tripping and I couldn’t do anything about it.”  

We come to the first street corner, and I freeze.

“What’s wrong Melissa?” Matthew asks.

“I’m OK.” I reply.

“I know when something’s up,” he points out.

“Yeah. Just crossing the street. Something so simple. Changed my life forever.” I say. “Can we just go home?” I plea.

He nods.

Otis turns around and we start back towards the house. As I get closer to the house, I see a familiar face on the other sidewalk. Samara is home.