Chapter 12: Jump In

Chapter 12: Jump In

  In the morning, I am awoken by music blasting. When I finally bring myself to open my eyes, I see that everyone else is ready. Olivia and the other two counsellors, Megan and Isabella, take the rest of the campers to flag raising. Demya sticks around to talk to me.

“How are you feeling Melissa? That was a pretty rough night last night.” Demya looks concerned.

    “I’m OK now. I’ve been having nightmares like that pretty frequently recently. I just hope I’ll grow out of it soon. They’re both emotionally and physically draining. The hard part is that there’s nothing that I can do to stop them. Like you saw last night.” I explain.

“Hey.  It’s okay! My job is to be here for all my campers and help them whenever they need it. But I really want to be your friend Melissa. So I’m here whenever you need me. Even if it’s at 2:00 am!” Demya says laughing. “So, are you ready for something to eat?” she asks.

“Not really. But you can go. I’ll be fine. Really,”

    “OK, but you know where we are.”

“Thanks for your help Demya”

She heads to the dining hall. I go into the bathroom. I start screaming. “WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? WHAT DID I EVER DO TO DESERVE ALL THIS? WHY ARE PEOPLE BEING SO NICE TO ME?”  i rip my hair out in a fit of rage. I stay in the bathroom until i hear the group come back from breakfast.

“Melissa are you in there?” I hear Demya ask. I don’t respond. “Look Melissa, I know this must be very hard for you,” Demya says through the door.

“Can I have my anxiety meds please?” I beg.

“Sure just give me a minute,”

I wait for Demya to bring 2 pills and my water bottle. I fill it up at the sink and then make it sound like I am swallowing the pills. I splash water on my face and walk out. Everyone is getting their bathing suits on. Demya goes into her room to get ready, satisfied that my pills are gone. I return to my bed, and when nobody's looking, discretely deposit them into a small clear baggie which I return into my pillow case.I stare at the pills and I know that they are my only real source of safety. I know that I need them in order to continue this ongoing battle that has become my life. If I even want to continue it…

My thoughts are cut short when Demya brings out the activity board. She is taking Olivia, Hailey and I to the Lagoon where the kayaks and canoes are kept. We’re all going kayaking. I’ve never done this in my life, but I’m excited to learn. Hailey and Olivia drag kayaks to the water on their own. Demya offers to take me out in the double kayak, and I am thankful for that.

We finally get into the kayak. It takes me a while to figure out how to use the paddle efficiently, but once I do, we are able to paddle over to the edge of the shoreline.

“We can usually find all kinds of turtles and snakes-”

“SNAKES!!!!?” I exclaim, tipping the kayak a little too far to the right. We both end up in the water. Good thing we have life jackets on, because the bottom of the lake looks pretty gross. I see a turtle swim under me, and a few minutes later, I am confronted with my worst nightmare-a snake.

“Demya!” I scream, as a huge snake approaches me.

“It’s okay, Melissa. Just grab my hand.” Demya says.

I swim closer to her and grab her hand. She pulls me up and boosts me up into the kayak. Hailey and Olivia come rushing over in their kayak.

“What happened? You two okay?” Olivia asks.