Chapter 26 - The Brighter The Sky The Darker Our Hopes

Omniscient P.O.V

Poland's car parked into the driveway of the house, the one where England, America, and Rosalie live.
He noticed that the driveway had no other car parked in it.
"Did they leave?" He muttered to himself, but his eyes caught onto a sheet of paper taped to the front door, brightly reflecting off the sunlight that is overhead.
Poland left his engine on as he quickly left his vehicle and ran up to the front door to see the note.
Hey dudes! If anyone is wondering where we are, we went on a vacation! We'll be back in a week!
If you need anything, give me a call!
-The Hero
Poland's eyebrows furrowed. "Vacation? Why didn't Rosalie tell me!? Girl...you're, like, so dead when I see you."
He saw the phone number written at the bottom, America's cell phone number.
Poland pulled out his phone and then dialed the number and waited for an answer.
Ring...ring...ring...ring...
Poland tapped his foot as he waited, but then he got the answering machine.
"The Hero isn't here at the moment, but don't worry, dude! Just call me later and-"
Poland sighed and shut it off, but before he put his phone back on his pocket, he dialed Rosalie's phone.
He waited again, but then got the answering machine once again.
Poland groaned and then put his phone in his pocket. He turned to get back to his car, but then saw another car park behind his.
Three countries exited the vehicle, and they aren't too familiar with Poland, but he knew who they are.
"Hey, what are you doing here, da ze?" Korea called as he, Hong Kong, and Taiwan ran up to the front of the house.
"I'm here looking for my bestie!" Poland said. "Rosalie's been missing for, like, three days!"
"Rosalie, too?" Taiwan's eyes widened. "We're looking for China and Japan."
"Looks like America and England's gone, too." Hong Kong muttered, reading the note, but then he looked at them. "They're on vacation."
"Vacation? Really, bro?" Korea said, his shoulders slumping.
"I guess we were worried over nothing," Taiwan said, a small smile forming on her face.
"Why didn't they tell us?" Hong Kong asked.
Poland shook his head. "I don't know, but I'm gonna, like, kill them when they get back."
"You can say that again!" Korea exclaimed.

However, Switzerland and Liechtenstein are still gathering their people to start the search, but they don't know that Germany and Prussia aren't the only nations 'missing'.
They also don't know that it isn't necessary to gather a search party, for the 'missing' countries are only on a vacation.
A life threatening vacation at that, but it's not like anyone else knows.

Meanwhile, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland are receiving calls about the missing countries, and human. The reports didn't surprise them too much, but right now, they're just worried for their younger brother.

Rosalie's P.O.V

"It's not here either!" I heard Spain call from the other side of the waiting room.
"Verdammit," Germany muttered from next to me, so the we gathered together and decided to walk down one of the main hallways, the ones that lead to the very few small planes outside.
Our flashlights moved around the long hallway as we walked through it, and when we see a door, a few of us would separate from the group to go in and check it out real quick as the rest of us wait outside.
There are small restaurants, cafés, and convenient stores with absurd prices here and there, but they're either on lockdown, or they have no note.
We soon found another door, but this one seems to lead to an office, and a big one at that.
"This must be where they organize everything," America mumbled, and so we all entered the area.
There are plenty of desks and lots of papers that are pinned, stapled, or taped to walls. But they are all business papers, and if a note is somewhere in here, it'd take us forever to find it.
"Well, crap..." I murmured under my breath. There are a few large windows in which moonlight shone through to light up the room a bit, but we still used our flashlights. I noticed through the windows that the moon is now near the horizon, so we won't have moonlight for very long.
"Huh?" I heard China mutter and I looked over at him to see him began hitting the side of his flashlight a bit. The light on his flashlight is flickering and looks dimmer.
"It's running low on battery," England muttered, but then Russia smiled.
"Ah, no worries, I have batteries." Russia said, reaching into his pocket and pulled out a box of batteries, then handed them to China.
"Thank you, aru!" China said, then turned off his light to take out the dying batteries, but then as he began to place in new ones, his eyebrows furrowed as he struggled to fit them in.
"Uh...I don't think these are the right batteries for this flashlight, aru..." He said, looking at Russia.
"Really? That's the only kind I saw at the hotel," Russia said, tilting his head in confusion. "I could've sworn those were for the flashlights."
"Oh no," America muttered gloomily. I know how he is when it gets dark to a certain point, and I guess flashlights losing their battery scares him some more. I patted his arm to try and reassure him, but I'm not so sure how well that worked.
"Here, let me try." Russia suggested, taking the new batteries and the flashlight from China, and then he began to forcefully shove the batteries into the flashlight.
I flinched every time I heard a small noise that probably shouldn't be heard from a flashlight. "Uh, I don't think it works like that..."
"Of course it does! It just needs some force, is all." Russia persisted, pushing the batteries in again. Then the light flickered and then there was a loud crack.
"Huh?" Russia said, opening his hand a bit, and the flashlight pieces fell to the floor.
  He just shattered the flashlight. With his hand.
"Dude...!" America whined, now looking even more worried.
I sighed, resisting the urge to facepalm.
England shook his head. "You're not supposed to break it!"
"Oops...bummer..." Russia murmured, staring down at the broken and no longer useful flashlight.
"Let's...just continue our search, oui?" France said, now beginning to walk towards the other side of the room. A few followed, a few stayed to search this side of the room. I went straight towards the huge wall covered in papers, my gaze darting from paper to paper, trying to find something that isn't so...business-y. Something that looks more like some creepy note than these other papers.
I bit my lip and pressed my hand against the lump in my pocket, where the notes are stuffed into. I don't have them all, since America and Russia both carry one, too.
We need two more. Just two more, and it'll be over. We'll get Italy and Romano back, and then we can all go home.
Then I remembered, what about the other countries? Do they know we're gone yet? Shit, I probably should've told at least a few of them that we're going on a vacation.
Some vacation this is.
But are they worried? Could they be looking around the world, literally, for us?
I mentally begged that they wouldn't come to this island, or they could be in danger also.
I sighed when I couldn't find a note out of all these papers.
Wait, what if a note isn't in the airport? We could just be wasting our time here!
Panic boiled in me and my hands began trembling.
Shit...
"You're not going to find the notes in time if you panic."
I mentally groaned at that voice. Why do you keep bugging me?
"Because you're too weak to do things on your own, apparently. You need me to keep going."
Yeah, right! I internally scoffed. I totally need a voice in my head helping me.
"Yeah, you do," she responded. "And I can do much more than that, if you just touch the mirror."
Uh, no, I think I'll pass.
"You'll give in sooner or later."
Then I shivered, suddenly feeling a presence on my back. My breath caught and I felt my eyes widen.
Oh, not again...
"You looked through all the papers, da?"
I have never felt so relieved, I swear my knees almost gave out on me.
I turned around and met the smiling face of Russia.
"Oh jeez, you scared me..." I said with a little nervous chuckle, trying to settle my heartbeat.
"Oh, I'm sorry. You look pale. You are okay, da?"
I nodded. "I'm...jumpy."
"Who wouldn't be in this situation, eh?" Canada asked, stepping over to us.
"Russia," I muttered playfully and we both chuckled. Russia smiled, not offended at all. In fact, it seemed that he took pride in it.
"Well, I guess it isn't here, dudes." I heard my brother say and I looked over to see him scratching the back of his head, obviously unsettled.
I sighed and looked towards the windows, then I felt my stomach drop.
Did it get brighter outside?