Chapter 13 - He's Closer Than You Think

Rosalie's P.O.V

"Do you think there could be another note around here somewhere?" America suggested. "I mean, this is a pretty big hotel."
I shrugged. "We can't be too sure, but we can check."
Two notes in one area? That sounds too easy. But it wouldn't hurt to be sure.
However, I have a feeling that we need to hurry. If we want to find Italy, we need to do it as soon as possible.
"It'll be faster if we split into groups," Russia said. "We have three flashlights, so we can split into three groups."
"It's a good idea...but it can be dangerous," England huffed.
"No one goes alone," Japan said. "Everyone should keep an eye on each other, and when you see the man, run."
America nodded. "I guess that'll work."
"And don't look at him," I added. "Don't look around too much, and especially don't look behind you. Even if you feel like someone's there."
"Okay, aru." China said with a nod.
"I'm sticking with Rosalie," Romano said, squeezing my hand, and I squeezed back.
"I'll come with you guys." America stood on the other side of me.
The Bad Touch Trio instantly stood next to each other, which practically tells everyone they're a team.
"I'll stick with Russia, aru." China said, glancing towards Russia as if asking if it's alright with the tall man. The nation nodded in response with his usual grin.
Soon, we split into three groups. By my side is Romano, America, and England. With Russia is China, Canada, and Japan. With Prussia is France, Spain, and Germany.
Before we all actually began to search, I studied each other their expressions.
Germany looks the most distressed out of everyone. He's still pale, and he even looked regretful as his gaze kept away from anyone else's.
I hope he isn't blaming himself for this...
"So, we all meet in fifteen minutes, 'kay?" America said.
England shook his head. "Idiot, how can we tell it's been fifteen minutes if we can't even bloody tell time?"
"Oh." America's grin dropped in realization. "Well, then when you think it's been fifteen minutes, meet back here in the entrance."
Everyone nodded, and then we went our separate ways. My group searches the first floor, and the other two searches the second and third floor. Each group has one flashlight.
I took a deep breath and exhaled. I really, really hope Italy is okay...
"Alright, let's get started." America said.
"Yeah..." I murmured. We walked through the entrance hall and passed the front desk, and onto more of the hotel. I waved the flashlight around a bit, at the walls, down the hall, but we never looked behind us, no matter how tempting it is.
As we were passing the small café area, England spoke up after a few moments of silence.
"Is this hotel really as big as you say, America?" He asked, looking at the American.
The latter scratched the back of his head. "Well, yeah."
"I just hope it's not any bigger than that damned mansion," Romano muttered. America kept silent, which pretty much said it all.
I looked at my brother. "Is it really bigger than the mansion, although it only has three floors?"
America nodded. "Yeah, it's bigger than the mansion."
"Well, fuck! We'll get lost before we find another fucking note, or even my fratello!" Romano growled, his frustration returning to the surface.
"C'mon, don't say that!" America said, looking at Romano. "We can do this, guys! We just need to make sure there isn't another note here, and then we move on, okay?"
England sighed. "Well, let's just search as thoroughly as we can. We need to look everywhere you think a note could be."
"Easier said than done," I muttered.
From room to room, we searched carefully. I remember that no one is here in their hotel rooms, but it still doesn't feel right to just walk in.
We searched until we found ourselves at a fork, either go left or right.
"Alright, America and I will go left and you two go right." England suggested, turning to us.
"Shouldn't we stick together?" Romano asked, his eyebrows furrowing as he crossed his arms.
"Yeah, we should," America said, looking at England with a confused expression.
"I don't like the idea any more than you do, but it'll be faster this way," England said. "We need to find the notes and Italy as soon as possible, right?"
"That makes sense," America mumbled, but he still looks uncertain. However, England looks determined and seems sure of this idea of his, and I know I can count on him when it comes to plans, so I trust him with this.
"Uh, well, then, here," I held the flashlight out to him, but he shook his head.
"It's alright, we'll be fine without it. Stick together and be careful, okay?" England said.
"Don't lose sight of each other," America said, then he looked at Romano, giving him a serious look. "Make sure she doesn't get into any danger, alright?"
"Like hell I'll let anything happen to her," Romano scoffed.
"Good," America said with a nod, now glancing towards me. I gave him a reassuring grin.
"We'll meet up here in a few minutes," I told him and he nodded again.
"Alright. Let's hurry." England said, then they began to walk down the left hallway.
Romano huffed a bit. "Let's go."
I nodded, glancing back at England and America one last time before turning and walking down the other hallway.
I bit my lip. Are they sure they want to go without a flashlight?
Then we turned another corner only to see a long-ass corridor.
"Oh, dammit..." I muttered. I've always hated walking through these types of hallways,
"This looks fun," Romano commented sarcastically. Hands held tightly together, we walked down the corridor. Seriously, the flashlight's light won't even reach all the way to the end of the hall.
There aren't many rooms to check in this hallway, despite how long it is.
"Wait, Rosalie, do you see that?" Romano asked, his eyebrows furrowing as he pointed at the end of the hall.
I felt confused, but I looked anyway. I squinted my eyes so I can see, but I'm sure...I walked a bit farther, Romano still walking with me, and then I saw it.
A single white spot at the end of the hall.
I swallowed hard. Is it him?
I stared for a bit, but I didn't gain a headache as I usually would when I look at Slender Man.
"Is it a note?" I asked out loud and Romano shrugged.
"We better find out."
We walked farther down the hall, still keeping the flashlight on that weird white spot, and then I noticed the rectangular shape of it.
The air was heavier as we got closer and my heart drummed in my ears. I didn't think there'll be two notes in one place, but I'm not complaining.
My eyes widened. "Holy crap, it is another note!"
"Let's fucking grab it, then!"
We both began running towards it, never moving our eyes from that note.
We soon stopped in front of it, and then, we read it...
BEHIND YOU
My jaw dropped as I gasped and Romano growled.
"Oh, for fuck's sake," Romano grumbled, holding my hand tightly.
Not only will Slender Man most likely be behind us, but we're also in a corridor, and we have to turn around to walk back.
I bit my lip. "Well...we have to grab it, right?"
My hand was shaky as I reached out to grab it. I pinched the corner of the page, took a deep breath, and then pulled it off the wall.
We heard the whistling of a breeze outside, but there only came one, single whisper.
"He's behind you."
Shivers flew up my spine and, as both the note and the whispers have warned, I just know he's behind us.
"Sh-Shit," I whispered, my voice shaky.
Slowly, I turned my head. Not enough to have full view behind me, but just to the side. At the corner of my eye, I see a tall figure, most of it blending into the darkness behind us, and I thought I saw movements of black tendrils slithering their way towards us...
I gasped and looked back to the floor in front of me.
"Romano..." I whispered, my voice more shaky than before. "He's really behind us."
"I know," he whispered back, looking down. Then he looked at me. "What if we walk backwards?"
"Backwards?"
He nodded. "You think we can walk right through him, then turn and run?"
Well, it can be possible, but...we can't be too positive if Slender Man is a physical form or...
I bit my lip. "I'm not sure...but we can give it a try."
He took a deep breath. "Alright, you ready?"
I nodded and swallowed hard. Then, slowly, we stepped backwards, then again, and again.
The cold chill at my back grew worse as we got closer to him and my other hand shook, the light from the flashlight shaking also.
Could this really work? Because if we don't actually bypass him, it could surely be over for us, right?
A headache formed in my head and it grew worse and worse, making me wince. My ears began ringing and my heart pounded loudly in rhythm with my throbbing head.
With each throb, my vision began to blacken around the edges, more and more...and at the corner of my vision, I thought I saw the tips of those tendrils.
We continued walking backwards, but now my head is spinning, feeling light and heavy at the same time, and my steps became wobbly.
My vision blacked out and I ended up closing my eyes.
It feels like something cold is wrapping around me, and I felt something slip out of my hand.
Then I was falling backwards, down and down...