Psy/435 Employee Selection and Training Paper

Employee Selection and Training Paper

Team D

10/07/2016

Introduction

Industrial and organizational psychology is a discipline that is continuously evolving based off of the advancements in technology, research pertaining to this particular form of psychology, and the ways in which employee in conjunction with employer relationships are progressing. Some of these principles are responsible for the way that employers make employee selections and train individuals that have been hired for particular jobs. In some cases jobs often require the individuals that they are thinking about hiring to have certain character traits as well as mental traits. One of the key principles of industrial and organizational psychology has to do with human behavior in the workplace. These theories apply psychological concepts and principles to not only the organization but the individuals who are a member of the workplace. By choosing at least two real-world examples of how organizations have used industrial/organizational psychology to select as well as train employees, discuss methods to measure the level of success of each training program, and discuss any legal or ethical concerns that may arise in the implementation of each training program the reader will be able to form his or her own opinion about the subject matter at hand.

Industrial Psychology in the Real World

In the real-world there are many examples that can be used of how organizations can and do use industrial organizational psychology to select and train employees. Many turn towards their human resources departments, which in turn go through this long process. Well known fast food chains and department stores. One huge problem that both of these types of organizations see is the fact that they have difficulty filling in positions with qualified applicants. Therefore these places then have to resonate enough buzz to get people to apply for that open position. Many use referral programs, employment agencies, walk-ins and now more than ever they use the internet. This is a very long and time consuming matter because the human resource department wants to make sure that whomever is hired is right for the job. In order to do so they install a personality type based test that depicts who is a team player, the individuals moral, and then base where that persons skill set would be needed most. The second is providing training that helps these individuals build on the skills they have to help the organization grow. These companies listed above tend to have videos that show scenarios and tasks that are to be handled with that job, then at the end they do tests to check and see if the information was remembered. The one thing that both the selection and training process have in common is the fact that each one is designed to make sure that the employee is placed in the position that fits them and benefits the organization.

Methods to Measure of Success of Training Programs

In the level of success in training a person give the person the time to learn what is expected on the job and about how long it should take to finish the job. Learning new skills helps the person advance themselves in the work force. Plus helps them to be happy in their career and want to succeed. In learning new skill you can ask questions so you will do your best job and do it to the best of your ability. One way to make sure you understand what the job is would be to ask yourself questions to see if you know what the right answers are and give you a better understanding of the job. See if there is an class that you might take to help you with knowing the right skills to master the job you have taken. In learning the job take notes so you might look over them after you have left work. Try not to learn too much at one time. Take you time and learn each skill until you have it down pat and then move on and also you can get other information as you learn different way to obtain you objective. The hands on approach of learning what you need to know is great but then if you have good notes you might learn a short cut to make the job easier and with this you would be happier and enjoy your position.

References

Dustin Coates, gawker media, Nov. (2013) lifehacker.co