Psy/ 420 Motivating Operations Analysis

Motivating Operations Analysis

Samantha Craig, Jesse Trombley, Marcus Niblack, Michela Folino, Sheniky Leslie, Teshell

PSY/420

8/1/2016

Introduction

Procrastination can begin in early adolescence when active and passive resistance to parental authority empowers young people to begin the separation from somewhere around ages 9 to 13. Procrastination is a wanting to get something done but being very lazy about getting it done. Most children procrastinate when it comes to school work because they really don't want to do it. There are methods and strategies into helping a child get their school work done and not procrastinating about it. Of course, in order to get a certain response, especially coming from a child, is going to require some reinforcement or punishment. We're going to put together what could be done about the procrastination and what benefits from it and we will also examine the consequences of not getting it done, but before this is done, we must come up with a method. Any behavior can be changed with some form of reinforcement, but it's all about knowing what approach to take. There are steps that need to be taken and observation in order to understand the behavior in procrastination in school when it comes to school work.

How to prevent Procrastination

Productive action comes from motivation; the key is to getting started. When Jim makes e a schedule and sets goals he is able to get his studying and work done in a timely manner. When an individual begins to accomplish something the person is more likely to want to keep going. Factors that impact motivation are to focus on time management skills, realistic goal setting, using rewards, work on positive self-talk, and also to accept that set backs are going to happen. When a setback occurs, modifications need to be made. When Jim plays video games, does not set-aside time for studying, and stay out too late his schedule is thrown off. Action leads to motivation, which leads to more action. The method Jim is using is positive reinforcement. This teaches Jim that when he makes a schedule and time for his studies, he will earn good grades.

CONCLUSION

Procrastination happens to the best of us. May times we may not even realize we are doing it. In order to try to cut down on this we need to make schedules, and keep to them. This is so we make sure we have enough time to get what needs to be done accomplished. Procrastination is done so easy because there are other things we would rather do then the task at hand. If we make the schedule and follow by it then we can reward ourselves with a job well done and maybe a treat. This will help to keep us on track to do well.

Procrastination Performance Management Contingency

After

Before

References

Malott, R. W., & Shane, J. T. (2014). Principles of behavior (7th ed.). Pearson Education, Inc.