Psy/420 Self-Management Paper

Self-Management Paper

Samantha Craig

Psy/420

8/8/2016

Introduction

Self-management is a word that has many different definitions. The most common according to (Dictionary, 2016) it is where an individual is in charge of oneself "regulation, administration; superintendence, care, charge, conduct, guidance, treatment." This paper will cover how to change my own poor exercising and eating habits that is causing obesity in order to lose weight. It will also cover what increases this behavior, the steps that can be taken to reach the outcome, and present a three day journal that highlights these behaviors and what changes need to happen in order to lose weight.

Describe Targeted Behavior

Obesity is something that plagues many different countries. In the United States alone "More than one-third (34.9% or 78.6 million) of U.S. Adults are obese."(CDC, 2015) Knowing this number can give many a push to want to make their lives healthier. Exercising is something that does not come easily to me now that I am older, despite eating healthy and counting calories weightless is still avoided. The hardest part about finding a workout routine is having Attention-Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD). When those who suffer from this disorder such as I do, being put in a routine is hard because I always want to be on the move and there is always multiple things going on to where distraction gets in the way of doing what needs to be done. Therefore, finding a workout routine that can keep my attention and focus, yet show results is the targeted behavior.

Outline the dimensions of measurement/baseline measurement.

When it comes to the reason for lack of weight loss it would be in my case multiple different causes. The first is that daily there is a lack of movement, because I don't have a career yet I am mostly sedentary. The second is procrastination, I have all the tools available to workout such as a treadmill, totally gym, weights, waist trainer and workout dvd's. However, I usually just say that I will work out later or that I will do it tomorrow and never get to it. The third and final one is the attention and will to keep working out. There will be times where I will exercise for two or three weeks then just stop because I get bored or I don't see a difference that I want.

Considering that this is a three day process that I have entered in here out of the two weeks that the workout that has been going on the goal is to at least lose a total of two pounds. At the moment I am currently only at a one pound loss. The measurement to show that this weight goal was met would be to log the workout times for three days. It will also include the calories burned during those days and food intake. All of those should work in harmony together to get the result wanted.

Outline of the Goals of the Behavior change

The behavior change is the lack of movement and exercise that is occurring in my life to lose weight the goals are fairly simple.

1. To watch food calorie intake and keep under 1600.

2. To work out for at least 30 minutes to 60 minutes a day

3. To burn off no less than 200 calories a day

Each one of these goals should change the unhealthy lifestyle that I am currently living. The reason I made these goals is based off of a weight loss tracker from the application on my phone called MyFitnessPal. It places the calories needed to consume a day based on a person's Body Mass Index (BMI), height and weight. Many doctors and exercise journals recommend for the average person to do a fitness routine an hour a day. The last is the more calories burned the better it is. However, just because those calories burned is subtracted by the food intake doesn't mean that one should eat more food.