Psy/335 Methods Paper

Methods Paper

Psy/335

Samantha, Regina, RoseAnn, Vicky, and Alyssa

03/30/2015

Dr. Henry

When condoning a research it is important to have a question and hypothesis. Our group chose Research Question: Does video game play cause youth to show violent behavior? Hypothesis: Does violent and nonviolent video game play positively affect violent behavior? Our team is in charge of depicting if this hypothesis using stratified sampling method, inferential statistics to collect data by using the T-test and Ordinal method to find out if violent and nonviolent games cause violent behaviors in the younger generation.

Sampling is the process of selecting a group of people who take part in the investigation of a research study. These people are referred to s participants. The target population is the total group of individuals from which the sample might be drawn. Simple, random, stratified and volunteer are different types of sampling methods used by researchers. There are numerous terms associated with sampling methods. Probability sampling is representative samples. Random refers to each individual in the population of interest has an equal likelihood of selection. The key to random selection is that there is no bias involved in the selection of the sample. Any variation between the sample characteristics and the population chart is only a matter of chance. Volunteer sampling refers individual choosing to be involved in a study. It is an easy and convenient method if found ethical it can lead to a formal consent.

Stratified sample is a mini reproduction of the population. Before sampling, the population is divided into characteristics of importance for the research. For example; gender, age, social class or education level are some of the characteristics used. Then the population is randomly sampled within each category or stratum. Stratified samplings are as good as or better than random sampling. But it requires a detailed knowledge of the population's characteristics.

In our study, we used the stratified sample method. Then used 30 teenagers divided into groups of six using the following list of variables.

1. Gender

2. Positive history of violence

3. Negative history of violence

4. Time spent playing violent video games

5. Age

Next we divided the smaller groups into two large groups.

1. Positive history of violence [ without an emphasis on gender, age or time spent playing video games]

2. Negative history of violence [ without an emphasis on gender, age or time spent playing video games]

By using the stratified sampling method we were able to divide the target group into groups of six, then into 15. In this study we wanted to determine whether or not violent video games increased the violence in the group with a history of violence or if it had no effect or did it increase the tendency toward the group without the history of violence. Using this type of sampling method would require me to have detailed knowledge of my population's backgrounds.

After we have collected all of the samples and the data necessary we will be using inferential statistics to represent our outcome for the youth population. Inferential statistics are the best method to utilize because it will be impossible to test all the youth who play video games in the population and cost a large amount of monies. Descriptive statistics only describe our data (which can still be useful to our inferential statistics) and the inferential statistics will create an answer to the hypothesis. Inferential statistics will enable us to make a generalization on the population of youth who play video games and their resulting behaviors. We will conduct descriptive methods of observation (natural and descriptive) to collect our data and the correlation analysis to determine, if there is a relationship between video games and violent behaviors. After we have collected our data and analysis we will conduct the t-test to enable our statistical generalization and gain the probability of the violent behavior in the youth population. The t-test will enable the research to show that the research is important and didn't happen by chance this will give the research and experimentation validity.

In this study we would use Ordinal method, 20 teenagers and then would divide them into two groups of 10 using the following.

• Gender

• Age

• History of violence in the home

• History of no violence in the home

• Preferred violent games or nonviolent games

By using ordinal method we were able to divide my groups in two, based on my results on the following questions. Violence in the home, No violence in the home, preferred violent or nonviolent video game. In this study we want to find out whether or not violent video games increases the violence in the group with a history of violence in the home or if it had no effect or did it increase the inclination toward the group without the history of violence in the home. Using ordinal method we would have to get background information, because we are trying to determine whether violent and nonviolent video play cause violent behavior? Then we would have to get a clear and very descriptive background of the participants and their history as far as the amount of time spent playing nonviolent and violent video games? The history of whether there has been any kind of violence in the home or if there hasn't been. Once we have collected proper information then we would be able to begin the study.

Then we would put into use the variables of age and gender the most, because that is what most researchers tend to focus on. Which usually plays a large role today in society. Violence in the home would be something to consider but that would need advanced study to prove. Preferred violent games or nonviolent games can be proven by study perhaps very simply, when you put people in a secure facility to study their behavior as they play each type of video game. Every individual has a preference but the study will show what is that might be. Every age group likes a different style of video game, but you also have to look at the parenting style to a degree if you are dealing with young children who like violent video games. It makes you wonder what the life is like at home for some individuals let alone some kids.

In conclusion, there are many parts that take place when it comes to research and the methods that take place. When we are trying to find whether or not violent and nonviolent have a positive effects on behaviors. Every individual has their own preference and grouping these 20 people into the right category is needed to proceed with the correct results, by making sure that each person faces prescreening before joining the experiment. Getting these results are based on the sampling and ordinal methods along with T-testing and inferential statistics.

References

Creswell, J. W. (2012). Education Research: Planning, Conducting and Evaluating Quantitive and Qualitive Research (4th ed.). Retrieved from The University of Phoenix eBook Collection Database.

Leedy, P. D., & Ormrod, J. E. (2013). Pratical Research: Planning and Design (10th ed.). Retrieved from The University of Phoenix eBook Collection Database.

Elmes, D. G., Kantowitz, B. H., & Roediger, H. L. (2012). Research methods in psychology (9th ed.). Retrieved from The University of Phoenix eBook Collection Database.