fourteen. Honesty

Honesty

"He fucking what?" I screeched, shooting up from my seat. Knocking my knee against the table with such a force, my mug of tea managed to tip over. I ignored the hot liquid as it poured onto the floor, seeping into the carpet.

"Hunter, please! I could be wrong–"

Niall's panicked justifications fell on deaf ears as I, instead, raced up the stairs and straight into Harry's room. He was still asleep, a pillow hugged tightly against his torso. I stormed in, slamming the door behind me. He jolted up, brows knitting together at my evident fury.

"Get up!" I yelled, "Get the fuck up, asshole!" 

Without waiting for him to comply, I ripped the duvet harshly from the bed to reveal his half-naked body. Grabbing his ankle and hastily yanking him off the mattress, I caused him to topple over onto the floor. I was equally surprised and satisfied with my new-found strength.

Harry did not remain sprawled across the floor like I had anticipated. Instead, he scrambled to his feet, ostensibly as angry as I was. "What the fuck, Hunter? You're acting like a psycho bitch!"

"You fucking spiked my drink? What were you planning, huh? Gonna get me unconscious and have your way with me, you sick bastard? Was that your plan all along?"

"Whoa, Bambi, calm down–"

"Don't tell me to calm down!" I screamed, "And don't you dare call me that! You have lost the privilege to call me that after what you've done. And to think I trusted you!"

"Look, Hunter, please, I honestly don't know what you're talking about," his hands were held up, levelled with his shoulders in a surrendering gesture.

"Bollocks! You drugged me and gave me a fucking tattoo! What the hell is this?" I held up my arm for him to see. The whites of his eyes grew conspicuous as he stared at my patterned arm.

"Shit...is that real?" He was a good actor, I'll give him that.

"Oh don't you even try and play dumb with me," my voice lowered as I let out a humourless breath of laughter, "Don't even go there with me, Styles."

I could almost see the gears turning in his mind as his eyes sparked with realisation. "Someone drugged you? How? Why? But I was with you though...did you pour all your own drinks? You didn't take one from anyone, did you?"

"Yes, you!" my tone was pitchy and uneven.

"Look, Hunter, think rationally about this. Why in the hell would I drug you? How could I?"

"Well you're a bit of an expert when it comes to drugs, aren't you? Who knows what crazy shit you could get from the streets," my eyes narrowed into hooded slits of suspicion.

"Oh, come on, Hunter!" It was Harry who was raising his voice now as he threw his arms into the air, "Do you honestly think that I would take advantage of any woman like that, let alone you? You should know me better than that!"

"Should I? You're obviously no saint. I have no idea what you're capable of." 

He sighed and dragged his hands down his face, resembling Niall's gesture from only moments ago. He let out a frustrated groan as he tilted his head back. "Hunter, you have to trust me on this, okay? Why would I have let you join my gang – fully aware of the consequences, like...like cops finding out our location, why would I have let you move in to my home without rent, why would I have bothered to have a tracking device necklace made especially for you, why would I have killed that Parker asshole when he tried to do God-knows-what to you...why would I have fucking bothered with all of that if I ever intended on hurting you?"