one. Anticipation

Anticipation

"Congratulations on your most recent mission, Miss Evelyn. No one spotted you, and it was a nice, clean shot straight through the head. Killed him in a heartbeat," Boss praised as he shook my hand. He led me to his mahogany desk, lowering himself behind it and beckoning me to the chair before him.

"Glad to have met your expectations, Boss." 

He nodded curtly in appreciation. "Would you prefer your payment to be mailed to you or given to you now? I'm a flexible man."

Inquisitively, I observed the wad of notes removed from his drawer and slapped onto the desk in front of him.

"Now. Always now."

A stiff smile was sent my way, the block of cash dropping into my welcoming, open palm. 

"Now, your next target is the leader of a drug cartel that's been causing quite a few problems for a long time now. He needs to be dealt with. There's been many cases of home invasions, mobs, illegal street fights, murder...you name it. The leader needs to be taken down ASAP. Once he's gone, the gang will crumble."

"Alright, shoot and run," I confirmed.

"Now that's where the problem comes in," Boss continued, resting his arms on the desk in front of him, "I have already assigned this mission to many other assassins, all of whom have failed me. The thing is, these people may be criminals, but by no means are they stupid. The moment they discover they're being targeted, they relocate to somewhere completely under our radar. We have only just managed to find them again."

"So what do you expect me to do?" I questioned curiously, leaning forward in my seat.

"Well this is where it gets complicated. I need you to meet them, socialise with them. I need you to gain their trust. If they discover your actual intentions, they will not hesitate to kill you. I can't afford to lose you, Miss Evelyn, you're too valuable to this business. You are going to ask to join their cartel...gang - whatever you want to call it. Make sure they agree, no matter what it takes. And then when they least expect it, take the shot."

My forehead creased. "But what if they don't let me join?"

"That's not an option." His voice was stern. "You have to persuade them to allow you to join under any circumstance. Do you accept?"

My eyes flicked up to meet his. "I accept. Now who's my target?" 

Boss retrieved a thin stack of papers from his desk and slid them towards me. "His name is Harry Styles."