prologue

Prologue

Gaunt, silver wisps of cloud highlighted the dying sun, a florescent orange hue setting the sky ablaze with a mighty, fire-like anger in its descent. Wild violets and pastel pinks coalesced with rich, navy blues in the most captivating way. Spindly shadows crawled from the branches that held them captive at night like ghostly, boney fingers. The moon was yet to make its appearance, however its pearly outline could be seen beyond the veil of fog. Traces of dusty black began to contour the vivid colours of the evening.

Mind elsewhere, I carelessly slung my battered bag over my shoulder. All enthusiasm had been drained from me as I descended the pathway, gravel crunching underneath my heels in the process. It had been a long, fatiguing day to say the least.

I entered the building. My feet were almost robotically climbing each metal stair, a metallic clang emanating from under my sole after each step. Eventually, I reached my designated destination: the rooftop. The harsh wind sung, caressing my exposed flesh and tangling through my unruly, blonde hair. I took the opportunity to inhale deeply in content. Kneeling onto the ground, I unzipped my bag to retrieve my beloved device. I attached it together. Whilst humming along to the song drifting through my earphones, I aimed the rifle at the target's head on the street below and shot.