Chapter 19

About an hour later, the room where the reception was held had been cleaned up. The tables and chairs had all ben moved out of the way. John and Mary were in the center of the room having their first dance, and Sherlock was at the front of the room playing the violin. Molly could tell John hadn’t had much practice with waltzing, but he and Mary still looked like they were having fun.

            John moved one hand to Mary’s waist and the other to her back. A huge smile came across her face.

            “Oh! Really?” She exclaimed excitedly, and he dipped her back. Mary giggles and John chuckles. As the waltz Sherlock is playing ends, John kisses Mary.

            The room bursts into applause, and some of the guest even cheer. The bridesmaid – Janine – was standing next to Molly, and was definitely cheering the loudest. Molly couldn’t help but be annoyed by her excitement towards Sherlock.

            Sherlock turns to his music stand and picks up something. He looks towards Molly’s direction and holds it up, revealing that it is a flower. He tosses it, and Molly holds her hands out slightly to catch it. She pulls her hands back to her chest as she realizes who it was meant for. She looked next to her as a smiling Janine caught the flower. Molly tried her best to hold back a disgusted look.

            Sherlock stepped up to the microphone after John and Mary had straightened up again. “Ladies and gentlemen,” Sherlock said. “just, er, one last thing before the evening begins properly. Apologies for earlier. A crisis arose and was dealt with.”

            So, Molly thought. Something definitely was wrong.

            Sherlock drew in a breath and continued speaking. “More importantly, however, today we saw two people make vows. I’ve never made a vow in my life, and after tonight I never will again. So, here in front of you all, my first and last vow. Mary and John: whatever it takes, whatever happens, from now on I swear I will always be there, always, for all three of you.”

            Sherlock paused momentarily, realizing what he had just said, and the guests all started looking at each other.

            “Er, I’m sorry, I mean, I mean two of you. All two of you. Both of you, in fact. I’ve just miscounted.” Sherlock stuttered. John and Mary exchange a worried look. “Anyway, time for dancing. Play the music again, please, thank you.” December 1963 (Oh What A Night) by Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons starts to play. Sherlock starts walking off the stage, and over to John and Mary. “Okay, everybody, just dance. Don’t be shy! Very good!”

            Everyone starts dancing, and Molly looks over to where John, Mary, and Sherlock stand. Sherlock has a serious look on his face, and Mary smiles. John lowers his head, then cuts Sherlock off in the middle of a sentence. Mary’s smile turned into a frown, but soon both she and John let out a laugh and smiled. Molly had a feeling that she knew what was being said.

            After a few seconds of the three of them just standing there, without speaking, John and Mary went of to dance and Sherlock was left in the middle of the room. He looked around, and spotted Janine. He walked halfway to her, but saw that she already had a dancing partner – the geek from the reception. He looked away, and walked out of the reception, grabbing his coat as he left. Molly looked after him, and then turned to Tom, who she had been dancing with.

            “Tom,” She said. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

            “Is something wrong?” He asked.