Part One

Valentine's Special

A smirk lit Ry's face as the bullets lodged into the skin of the tall blond woman and the black haired man. The bullets burrowed into their skin before shimmering and spreading like a glittering light across their skin.

The woman rubbed at the spot with a grimace just as the man let a spew of curses leave his mouth with a hostile glance around, ready to blame someone for hitting him. The man paused at the sight of the woman and Ry could feel a magnetic click in the air as she glanced at him. Their eyes never left one another.

Ry clicked the safety on his gun, slipping it in the waistband of his denim jeans. Another job well done, and, he thought smugly, done with class. He pulled on his denim jacket, ready to make his way out. His job was done other than the yearly check ups.

Those sucked the most he had to make sure the couples were still together. If they were fighting it was kind of fun but usually his presence mellowed them out to where they showed their real feelings.

Lame.

It was really gross when they were in happy moods already because his presence just upped that. Then they got mushy. Ry shuddered and screwed his face up in disgust.

"For a guy with a love gun who plays cupid you sure don't look happy about pairing someone up."

Ry gritted his teeth at the woman draping herself over the hood of his Mustang. Her long red hair twisted into a messy bun, casting shadows haphazardly across her face making one eye a dark Forrest green and the other a bright clear green. She wore a dark blue summer dress, and his eyes followed the curve of her body to her pale legs that stretched across his door. She was blocking him from getting in his car and driving away, the clever bitch.

"Deni, leave." Ry ordered shortly, forcing his eyes from her and the pout she sprouted.

"But I want to play with the gun," she said and he took a second to breathe in deeply. It took a few reminders that he would be punished should he shoot her or likewise harmed her. He settled for clamping onto her wrist and drawing her to a standing position.

Bad idea, Ry discovered, when she stepped into him pressing herself against him with a coy smile. She was playing him and he hated games.

"Denise, step away from me and walk away. Don't come bother me again," Ry snapped at her and she placed her hands against his chest, bringing the hand he still held hers with between them and forcing his other to rest on the curve of her hip.

So he could push her away, he told himself.

"No, I think you should answer me. Do you not like your job, Ry baby?" The last word was a purr into his ear and he clenched his jaw. He felt his mask slip, the cold feelings he usually felt heated to a white hot fury.

What right did she have to bother him on the job? He bent his head down and felt more than saw the gleam in her eyes and the wicked smile curving her lips.

"Sweetheart, I don't play games so unless you want a bullet in your ass and a bullet in some idiot as well I really suggest you walk your pretty self away."

Her hand tightened and she let a low chuckle out."You think I'm pretty?"

Ry growled in the back of his throat and pushed her away only then realizing they'd attracted some onlookers.

"God damnit, get in the car. All I need is a public display on my spotless record," Ry said to her and led her to the passenger side door.  He didn't miss her snort of amusement and her snarky comeback.