Chapter Three (Scarlett)

Scarlett

"You should take what Mom says into account more often," Emerald scolded watching her sister as she dipped a paint brush into the paint palette before her. "You're supposed to be getting dressed. We have a dinner tonight with quite a few powerful guests. Dragons are going to be there."

Scarlett rolled her eyes in response to that. She didn't believe that there was anything to worry about. A formal dinner with a bunch of crackpot friends and people of powerful that her mother and sister were in awe of wasn't on her top list of things that were important. She'd much rather finish this painting that she was working on then that. The sketch of it had taken her two weeks to complete. Now, her sister was ruining her concentration. She didn't want to ruin the sketch by painting it incorrectly, and she was sure to do that if she had to continue to listen to her sister.

"Alright, fine," Scarlett said with resignation.

Emerald squealed excitedly, jumping up and down for a brief second. "I'm picking your outfit," she told her sister. "Come on."

Scarlett sat the paintbrush on the palette and started to cover it with a protective sealing so that the paint wouldn't dry. Before she could finish Emerald grabbed her arm and began to drag her from the room and in the direction of her room. She looked up for a moment, before giving in and walking. The instant she did, her sister released her. Scarlett let out a slight yawn as she leisurely headed for her room. She wasn't sure exactly what it was that her sister was going to attempt to find her. She didn't really have too many sexy outgoing outfits. As a librarian and secretary, she dressed formally. As an artist she dressed in anything that was expendable. Some of her clothes for painting came right off the racks at Goodwill and Salvation Army.

"What the hell is this Scarlett?" Emmy shrieked from her closet.

Entering her bedroom, Scarlett smiled slightly and entered the closet with her sister. Seeing the large oversized white coveralls with huge paint splatters hanging off to the side by itself, she chuckled. "A painting outfit for when my art gets a bit more wild and creative," she replied.

Emmy hissed from between her teeth, before biting her lower lip and looking thoughtfully at the clothes in the closet. "None of this will do," she told her sister. Sometimes she wondered where Scarlett went to get her clothes, nothing made sense at all.

"I've got an idea," Emmy murmured before grabbing one of Scarlett's red dresses.

It was made of from polyester and fell past Scarlett's ankle. The waist was ill-fitted and loose like all of Scarlett's clothes. Watching her sister work her magic was something that Scarlett was used to. She accepted that there were smaller aspects out there that her mother and sister could do-magician tricks-but not to the extent that it created a whole realm of magic that was unexplainable. Emmy's hands waved about the dress as she muttered chants under breath. The dress remained white, but changed in material and went from polyester to soft cashmere that became shorter and shorter with each movement of her hands.

Scarlett blinked.

Finally, Emmy was finished and the dress looked exactly like something that she would wear on a night out. Scarlett shook her head. "Emmy," she protested.

"You're wearing it," her sister ordered, throwing the dress.

It landed on Scarlett's face and she sighed resignedly. She slid her current outfit off and shoved the dress down over her body. As she suspected it conformed to her curves and stopped just barely at mid-thigh. She felt slightly panicked, but feminine at the same time. That was something she hadn't felt in years. Not since high school. The weirdness of her immediate family had changed the way she dressed and who she hung out with. At one point even geeks in high school hadn't wanted to be around her.