Chapter Four (Scarlett & Zane)

Scarlett

Scarlett drunkenly stumbled down the porch steps, her heels clacking against the concrete. She used both hands to steady herself against the oak wood rail for a moment. Things weren't looking so great. She possibly might end up wrapping herself and her car around a tree, but it was sounding a lot better than heading back in and waiting for Emmy or mother to finish their social hour. The tears made her vision blurry and that wasn't too much better. The car was parked somewhere down the street, but she wasn't sure of its location.

Emmy had driven, but she'd easily be able to find a ride. Scarlett admitted that she had put Emmy on the spot, but the truth was rarely ever what escaped Scarlett's lips. She usually kept her thoughts about Emmy's love life to herself. So what if the wine had brought out the truth? Emmy had no right to announce to everyone that she was a virgin. Nor had her mother had the right to exploit her to those people.

Oh, yeah.

The people who thought they were real dragons. She snorted at that. But she was the one who lived in a bubbled out fairy tale? Reality could be seen, felt, touched, and tasted—crackpot fairy tales held the lure of dragons, witches, and an alternate world parallel to humanity. The wine made a fine companion and seconds later, found her bent over slightly, laughing hysterically at the events of the night.

God, they were something else.

The two were in extreme cahoots with each other and had a bond that she'd likely never share with them. One hand came up to quickly brush away the tears streaming down her cheeks. Only Emmy and her mother could bring out this pain. After all these years, why she kept contact with them she wasn't sure. It wasn't likely that either would ever change. Actually, that was a lie. Here in the midst of the night where no one watched or judged, Scarlett could admit to herself that she held a certain intrigue with this magical world that they spoke of.

Maybe, Mother and Emmy were insane, but to have so many people on board with them...That meant something. Either there was a small possible chance that it existed, or they were all on some type of hallucinogenic drug. The latter sounded more than likely possible. It would explain the hostility, the tension in the room along with the openness they all held around each other. It was almost cult like. Cults often shared in things such as drugs.

Scarlett turned slightly as she heard the front door open. Her steps quickened, not wanting to be bothered. One of the thin stiletto heels caught on a crack in the concrete, sending her tumbling forward. Scarlett's hands flew forward to brace herself and she closed her eyes for the impact, which never came. Instead of the impact of the ground, warm masculine arms were encased around her waist and she was held steadily against his chest. His masculine frame was a contrast to her soft feminine one. Glancing at the dark leather in contrast to her white dress, she slightly turned in the man's embrace.

"Thank you," she said to her savior.

His black eyes met hers for a brief pause. Sapphire clashed against black and it seemed as if time stopped in that moment. The intimate moment wasn't lost on Scarlett. All thoughts completely fled her mind and all that could be taken in was him. He was a devilishly handsome man. His dark hair was at neck length and tousled as though, he ran his fingers through the silken strands frequently. His cleanly shaven face was the perfect blend of features. His almond shaped eyes were showcased by his high cheekbones and the slightly rectangular structure of his face.

"It's not a good idea for you to drive alone in this condition, little red," Zane said, his voice a husky blend of velvet and silk.

Scarlett's lips turned slightly at the pet name. A slight chuckle escaped her. "Little red?" she mused aloud.