Chapter One

Have you ever seen a man so dark and obscure, that everything about him screamed immoral? Kirstin did. It was in that very instant when her eyes laid on him that she knew he did not come from her side of the land.

The man dismounted his horse, which was the largest and blackest of horses Kirstin had ever seen, and like many others she watched with curious eyes as the man's muscles jerked and flexed. His black hair rustled in the breeze, and at any other time he may have seemed handsome if it weren't for the deepening scowl on his face.

The man must have noticed the town's watchful presence because he turned around and snarled, "Ye have naethin' better to look at?" which caused the townspeople to begin walking again as if nothing had occurred. However, it did not stop the low whispering gossip to occur.

Kirstin was about to be on her way to get the few things her family had sent her into town for. She took the list out from her satchel and scanned the lines briefly, before it was roughly ripped from her grasp.

Looking up, Kirstin came face to face with a snickering boy by the name of Davie. There was no doubt in her mind that he had a fondness of her, one that she did not return. Davie's father was an advocate of court, unlike Kirstin's who was just a meager farmer. Her parents were not involved in court or gossip, but they were happy off in the countryside. They barely got off in paying for necessities but they did, and that is all that mattered.

"Give it back." Kirstin said sternly, reaching for her list only for Davie to jerk it high above her reach.

Davie smirked, "I will if ye give me something in return."

Kirstin gawked, "Aye?"

If it was at all possible, Davie's smirk widened, "A kiss for the lad."

Kirstin drew back in repulse, "Nay. Ye are out of yer mind!"

"Very well then," Davie frowned in mock disappointment and began tearing up the list as Kirstin's face expressed that of horror, "Canna think what yer folks will say when ye return home with naethin'." Then he let loose the pieces of paper and they went flying into the breeze.

Kirstin cursed underneath her breath and went after the pieces. She ignored the fact that they flew into the street, and she even managed to catch a few of the pieces. She was so focused and determined on retrieving the rest of the list her parents had given her that she did not realize she had stepped close to the black horse she had been observing moments before. It took only a few steps closer for her to run face first into the strange man who was adjusting the saddle on the horse, and only a moment of realization for her to grasp the concept of what she had done.

The horse immediately became spooked, neighing loudly, and then it lunged forward. A breath escaped Kirstin's lips and she jumped back as she watched the man grab hold of its reins. He reprimanded the horse until it was calm.

Kirstin stepped back from the man, still clutching the crumbled pieces of paper in her right hand and keeping her left hand close to her heart. She let out a shaky breath of air as he turned to face her.

It was clear that he was fuming now.

It seemed that the town's people stopped what they were doing to observe the incident, which not only embarrassed Kirstin but also terrified her. There was no doubt that she would be the town's gossip for the next month.

Something crossed the foreign man's gaze when his dark eyes met her sterling blue ones. It was an unreadable, indescribable expression that she could not understand. It was gone as quickly as it had come, and his rage had replaced what was once there.