Family is only skin deep: Chapter 17

It was the day of the resilience camping trip, I’d finished bagging the night before and I’d got up quite early on the Monday morning. “Morning” Christine said once I’d walked into the kitchen after lugging my bag down the stairs “Hey” I said and grabbed some bread putting it in the toaster, I picked up my phone and looked to see a text from Hector Don’t pack too much babe xx it read, I just smiled and put my phone down before spreading the chocolate spread over my toast. At about quarter past 8 both me and Christine were ready so she grabbed my bag and put it in the boot of the car as I got in the passenger seat in the front. Once we parked in the school car park I pulled my bag out the boot and went into the school “Sir where do we put our bags?” I asked Mr Lowsley as he walked down the corridor “Mr Reid should be pulling up in the bus now, you can be the first to put your bag in” he said and I nodded before following him outside the doors and just like he said an ugly bus pulled up in front of us. “Wow” I said and laughed a little before walking over to the luggage compartments, I pulled open the door and chucked my bag in before going back to Mr Lowsley and Mr Reid “Sir what’s the weather forecast for when we’re on the trip?” I asked Mr Lowsley, leaning against the door at the bottom of the bus. Mr Lowsley and Mr Reid both turned to me and laughed “It should be fine, don’t you worry Kaitlin, no rain will ruin your hair” Hector said and I laughed a little before turning around and walking down to the gate to wait for Dynasty.

I’d been waiting for about 5 minutes when I saw Dynasty and Kevin walking up the street, I smiled and waved but stopped when a navy blue car pulled up at the side of the road. I looked over and saw Barry sitting in the driver’s seat with Gabriella beside him, we looked at each other but I just turned around and walked away, not letting him see me cry. He’d said he’d break things with Gabriella, I knew I shouldn’t have trusted him. Stupid, stupid me. I sat down on the step outside the school waiting for Dynasty and Kevin to come in, they eventually did and I hugged my best friend “It’s okay” was all that Dynasty whispered to me, she knew about what Barry had said to me, I’d told her. Kevin was carrying her bag so we left him to put them with the others as we walked into the school building and into our form room where Rhiannon and Imogen were already waiting “Morning guys” Mr Lowsley said when he came in a couple of minutes later “After the past few weeks, I thought you two might be interested in the emergency services” Mr Lowsley said and handed Dynasty and Imogen some leaflets, I looked at them both confused before shaking my head. “Oh Kait, did you go for your uni interview over the weekend?” Mr Lowsley said turning to me, I’d missed my first one after everything Barry so had to rearrange to the previous weekend. “I’ve got in as long as I get my grades” I told him and I watched as his face lit up and he congratulated me “Aw well done babe” Dynasty said and I thanked her and the other as the majority of my form congratulated me on getting in.

“I’ve got your Barry right where I want him” I heard Gabriella say when I walked into the library and over to where Dynasty, Rhiannon and queen snob were sat. “I wouldn’t be so sure of that” I said then smiled at Dynasty as the bell went, “I need your help with something” Dynasty whispered to me and Rhiannon as we walked out, we both looked at her before meeting up with Imogen and going into the girls bathroom. She pulled out a box which we pulled open to find a silver bag of alcohol inside “Nice one” I said and she pulled down her skirt and put the bag against her chest as me and Rhiannon wrapped tape around it “They’ll never know” I said as Dynasty pulled her skirt back up and put her coat on and we ran out the bathroom and outside. Dynasty, Rhiannon and Imogen still had their bags which had to be searched but I just clambered on the bus when Mr Lowsley said he’d already checked mine. Dynasty climbed on behind me but stopped when Hector called her back over, I watched as Dynasty was walked away by Christine and Miss Boston and I went sat down near the back next to Imogen since Dynasty would probably want to sit with Kevin. Dynasty eventually returned and we set off in the bus out the school car park.