Family is only skin deep: Chapter 10

Saturday soon came around and I could barely keep still on Friday night, I’d gotten backstage passes delivered to me on Thursday, there were 4 including 1 for me. It took a long time to decide who I was going to take with me but I eventually decided to take Rhiannon and Tariq and my dad was coming up to watch me as well. Luckily Aiden was down in Rochdale to see his dad so he wasn’t coming which I was happy about. Dad had come up the night before and slept over so we could leave in the morning, I’d put it out on Twitter about me supporting Bastille and I’d promised to film it which Rhiannon and Tariq said they’d do. At 6 o’clock in the morning I was awoken to a knock well more like a banging on my door, I eventually dragged myself out of bed and opened the door to Rhiannon’s face smiling at me. “Morning!” she basically screamed at me and I laughed a little before hugging her in happiness. I quickly had a shower and washed my hair before shoving on my joggy bottoms and brothers jumper, I dried my hair and scraped it back in a bun. I’d put the clothes I was wearing for the gig into a bag the night before and dumped it at the door as I went into the dining room where Maggie had made her special cooked breakfast of sausage and eggs and bacon, French toast and hash browns and beans. “Morning dad!” I exclaimed and sat down at his table as I started eating. He smiled at me and I looked around to see everyone in the school house up and awake, they weren’t dressed yet but they were there and that meant quite a lot to me, knowing they were supporting me.

At 8 o’clock everyone in the school came over and hugged me, they wished me luck and said good bye as we climbed into the mini bus – so Tariq could come as well – and dad drove down the drive. I knew the way to the venue, I’d been there many times before so when dad went the opposite way as if going towards school I got confused “Where are we going?” I asked and he smiled at me but didn’t reply as he turned into the street the school was on, he eventually turned into the school car park and I laughed as I saw a large banner that read ‘Good luck Kaitlin’ across it, everyone from school was stood underneath it and cheered when we turned in. I climbed out the bus when dad stopped and ran over to where Dynasty, Imogen, Connor, Kevin, Kacey, Harley, Lula and even Barry were stood, I’d been avoiding Barry all week but Aiden wasn’t here so I didn’t care. I ran over and hugged them all, even Imogen who’d I’d decided to give a chance to life’s too short to dislike people for no reason.

“You’ll do great, I’m so proud of you” Barry had whispered to me when I hugged him before getting back in the bus, I kept smiling and started getting excited as we drove to the venue. I pulled out my phone and tweeted ‘On the way to the venue for tonight, so excited to be performing with @BASTILLEdan! This is gonna be great!’ I shoved my phone in my hoodie pocket when we got to the venue and I practically screamed with excitement as we were let in through a back gate and we parked up next to Bastille’s tour bus, this was the first proper gig I’d ever played, I’d sang at some gigs and YouTube conventions but nothing like this I was so excited. “Come on then let’s go and meet Bastille” my dad said and I started jumping up and down and grabbed my bag, I didn’t wait for a second I just shot straight through the back door and held out my arms, running my hands along the wall as I walked down the corridor. This was going to be incredible. “Ah you must be Kaitlin, yes?” a voice suddenly said and I looked up to see a middle aged looking man, he had very short brown hair and a bit of stubble, he was wearing a plain black t-shirt and jeans, he had a backstage pass around his neck and it read ‘manager’ on it. I smiled and nodded just as dad, Rhiannon and Tariq came over. “Bloody hell, Kaitlin you could of waited” my dad said and I looked at the man to see him chuckle, I smiled and my dad put his hand on my shoulder. “Follow me then and I’ll take you meet the band” he said, I nodded and followed him down the corridor. We passed many doors, some just being store cupboards and others dressing rooms etc. We eventually reached a door that read ‘Bastille’ on it. I started smiling uncontrollably as the man knocked on the door and opened it, there sitting in the middle of the room was Dan, Chris, Kyle and Will. I couldn’t actually believe it, it was all real, I was actually going to perform on the same stage as one of my favourite bands – maybe not with them but still for them. “Oh hey you must be Kaitlin” Dan said and I started smiling as he and the rest of the band came over. They all hugged me and I hugged them back before we went properly into the dressing room and they met Rhiannon and Tariq and my dad. “We understand this is your first proper gig right?” Dan asked and I nodded, not able to form actual words. “Well we’ll give you a longer sound check than normal support acts and we’ll help you get the ropes and that” Dan told me and I again nodded, they probably thought I was weird not actually saying any words. “Do you know the songs you’re going to sing yet?” Kyle asked and I looked up and over to him “Yeah I’m gonna sing some songs from both my EP’s” I told him and they all nodded.