Prologue for Ilea, Dawning!

I woke up and looked around myself; I was in the same room that I had been in since my arrival back in Elmira. I sat and a shocking, dizzying feeling rushed through my body. My hand flew to my head as a shooting pain struck into my brain like a knife. Tears streamed out of my eyes as I was encompassed by a comforting pair of arms; staring up into his eyes I think I felt automatically better.

“What happened?” I asked, surprised by the weakness of my own voice.

“You don’t remember?” He replied with a worried expression. I tried to look back into my memories and was greeted by a terrifying black wall within my mind.

“No, I cannot remember anything.”

“I don’t know if I’m the best person to explain.” He said, pulling me to his chest and kissing the top of my head for too long.

“Rowan, tell me.”

“I can’t.” He said with tears in his eyes. It was at this point that I began to worry that something was seriously wrong.

“If you will not tell me then take me to someone who will.” I demanded and stood up, only to feel so unstable that I stumbled and ended back on the bed. I waited for the head-rush to pass, gritted my teeth and then tried again, locking my knees and walking with stiff legs to the door. Rowan tried to give me his arm but I pushed it away; I could do it on my own.

I yanked open the door and started the long walk to the person who would tell me what an earth was going on. It took far too long for me to arrive. I wanted to all but fly through the corridors but my body would not allow me to go faster than a ridiculously slow human’s pace. Rowan walked with me, but I ignored the attempts he made at conversation; I knew that if I opened my mouth the only thing passing my lips would be screams from the waves of pain that were swelling at my every step.

I finally arrived at Orion’s room and burst through the door. I could see my wild expression in the mirror opposite the entrance but ignored it and rounded the corner to come face to face with Orion and several members of the council. I didn’t pause, “What is happening?” I all but shouted at him.

“Ilea take a seat, I’m sure you’re distressed from the events…”

“She doesn’t remember.” Rowan cut in, then tried to place his hand on mine but I moved it, I was still angry at him.

“Oh,” he paused for a moment, “this may make things difficult.”

“May make what difficult?” I was getting more annoyed and could feel the flames of anger lapping near the surface.

“Please clam down Ilea. I will explain to you, as long as you stay calm.” I was about to get angrier when I noticed the terrified faces of the council. I tried to push down the rising lava and felt the heat drain from my eyes.

“Thank you. Will you please sit down? I think what I am about to tell you will come as an unwanted shock.”

I sat, trying to break through the dark barrier in my mind, but nothing worked. I couldn't remember anything. When I looked up again the other men of the council had left the room. Orion, Rowan and I were the only ones left and there was extreme tension in the atmosphere. I tried to ignore it, “Tell me what happened.”

Orion sighed and took a seat opposite me. “How much do you remember?”

I thought back, trying to decipher what were real thoughts and what were fragmented images from my own imagination. “I think I remember the dress fitting, has the ball happened yet?”