Chapter 41

He walked down to the edge of the pool and took off his shirt, wading into the water. He seemed to know where I was and started to swim over to the tree. I turned my back to the curtain and poured water over my shoulders. He cleared his throat and I turned around quickly, surprised that he had swum over so fast. I saw his face and suddenly was very aware of him in the water so close to me.

He came closer and I stayed where I was with my feet just on the bottom of the pool, he was so close that I could see the water droplets on his cheeks but I was not going to back down, not when I was so close to winning. He moved forward again, and I looked into his deep blue eyes and realised that neither if us were playing. It had never been a game. He put his hand against my face and I searched his eyes, finally finding what I had been searching for. I leant towards him and felt my lips against his briefly.

We broke apart and I looked at him uncertainly, I had realised that I had wanted him all along, ever since seeing him in the lake that early morning I had wanted him, but I was only just realising it, did he want me the same way. He caught my eye, “What’s the matter?” he asked me.

“I do not know…”

“If this is what you want?” he said trying to finish my sentence.

“No.. and yes… I am not sure if this is what you want?” I said looking at the wiry, muscled arm that had appeared around my waist when we had kissed. I was suddenly aware of a conciseness that seemed to be shouting at me and let it slip into my mind.

‘Of course I want this.’

“What do you mean?” I asked him, confused, he stared at me in the same way.

‘What am I doing, she’s slipping away!’ “Ilea, of course I want this.”

“But why?”

‘Because every time I see you, you seem to have a different emotion in your eyes, because I can’t get you out of my head, because I can never get the right words out to tell you what I’m thinking! But how can I tell you?’ “I just do.” ‘Now she’s going to leave.’

“Do you really think that about me?”

“Think what about you?” I didn’t know how to explain quickly so showed him the only way I could, I opened my mind into his completely. ‘Beau?’

‘What the hell! Ilea?’ I smiled at him weakly and nodded, ‘You’re in my mind?’

‘Yes.’

‘Why?’ I looked at him in surprise, every other person had only ever asked how.

‘It was the easiest way to explain my question to you.’

‘So you heard what I was thinking?’

‘Yes.’

‘All of it?’

‘I don’t know how much there was.’ I thought to him honestly, catching the note of panic in his mind. ‘Why what were you thinking?’ A rush of thoughts came into my head and I closed my eyes trying to concentrate on all the flashes of images that passed through. I shook my head and looked up at him again, trying to breath, the rush of his emotions were making it hard to function. “Stop.” I panted. Suddenly they stopped and I breathed a sigh of relief. “I cannot cope with all that emotion in my mind at once.” I explained slowly.

“I am sorry, do you want me to try again.” I nodded, and the emotions slowed down, briefly touching my mind, I felt his desire to hold me, to touch me, the forbidden presence I seemed to emit, the confusion he felt from my attitude, from the way my body was around him. I had not realised how many mixed signals I had been giving.