Chapter 11 - What's up with Zayn?

Chapter 11

Gen’s POV

“What just happened?” Liam asks, peering around the table. Everyone looks confused, especially Tracy. I automatically feel sorry for her because she’s caught up in something she doesn’t know a thing about.

“I have no idea…” Harry says, trailing off.

To a place where hearts can’t be broken. Zayn’s word replay in my mind over and over. Did I really break his heart by saying that I wanted to date Louis? It’s not like Louis was actually going to ask me out anyway, so I really don’t understand what the fuss is about. The atmosphere at the dinner table has grown awkward and all of a sudden I feel out of place.

“I should check on him.” I say, referring to Zayn. Louis turns to look at me, his face somewhat disappointed and panicked.

“No no he needs some space.” He replies and I just nod. Without Louis’ blessing, I don’t know how I’d get to Zayn’s room anyway. That reminds me…I need to get my ankle checked out. I might need crutches for a while.

It seems that everyone has lost their appetite from the small outburst, as have I. Tracy begins to clean up, with the help of Sandra and Harry, while the others sit in silence. I want to help out, but there really is no use. I’m in physical pain and can’t walk.

“Does your ankle still hurt, babe?” My heart flutters every time he calls me babe. I nod. A small and pitiful smile creeps onto Louis’ face and he gets up from his seat. He leans down to pick me up, carrying me bridal style. My heart leaps by his touch.

As Louis carries me across the living room, we receive suspicious stares from pretty much everyone. I am slightly embarrassed about how we must look, but I have no other choice. He plops me down on the soft couch, assembling the decorative cushions so I can elevate my foot. I am impressed by his thoughtful gesture.

“Do you need anything? An ice pack perhaps?” He sweetly asks, attending to my every need. I smile warmly before requesting an ice pack from the freezer.

He gets up and walks over to the fridge. My eyes follow his figure as he examines the freezer for the small, clear pack. He stands on his tippy toes to see the top shelf, and frowns when he can’t locate the object.

“It’s in the first drawer at the bottom,” I say, putting him out of his misery and saving him from having to ask Tracy.

He holds up a finger and bends down to retrieve the ice pack.

“Thank you.”                                                                                            

After two hours of watching a random assortment of reality TV shows, the pressure and pain from my ankle begins to ease. I’m glad, because the last thing I want to do is have Louis carry me into the emergency room. The ice pack seems to have helped a lot with the swelling and I hope that I can walk tomorrow.