Chapter 40

Hiccup and Toothless entered the throne room to see a flurry of activity. Toothless let out a worried warble. "I know bud. I know." Hiccup said as he laid a hand on the dragon's head before walking towards Astrid.

"There you are!" Astrid said relieved. "Thank you for helping in the city."

"How did you-?" Hiccup asked.

"The captains report directly to me if there is a crisis." Astrid stated. "So far the city is under control. I've dispatched orders to the other areas. We now need to figure out what is happening."

"And how are we going to do that?" Hiccup asked. "All I noticed was that those clouds came from the north and even then we have no proof that it is that woman's doing."

"That is why I'm going to have a talk with our visitors." Astrid stated as she and Hiccup left the room. "The cleric woke up an hour ago and his friends are inside his room."

Astrid opened the door to see Ruffnut whacking Fishlegs over the head.

"Ow ow ow ow!!" Fishlegs muttered as he rubbed the back of his head.

"What is going on here?" Hiccup asked tentatively as Astrid let out a groan beside him while facepalming.

"Nothing much." Ruffnut stated. "I was just reminding Fishlegs, now that he is better, how utterly idiotic it was to perform a dark spell.

"Especially since even dark practitioners refrain from using that particular spell. The last person that tried I believe ended up coming out of the portal inside out. This is why I refrain from traveling via magic. You all honestly got lucky." Astrid explained casually.

"WHAT!" The twins and Snotlout yelled before looking at an embarrassed Fishlegs.

"I ought to hit you again!!" Ruffnut said dangerously as she raised her arm but she was now being restrained by her brother.

"I.... eh... did mention that we likely might end up dead either way." Fishlegs meekly defended.

"How did you even learn this spell?" Astrid questioned. "Low ranking clerics would not have had access to it."

Fishlegs suddenly looked embarrassed and he mumbled something that the others could not hear.

"What was that?" Snotlout now asked.

Fishlegs took a breath and repeated louder. "I said that I used to sneak into the Halls of Knowledge at night!!"

This caused Tuffnut to let out a whistle. "You have some balls Fish." Tuffnut said before clapping him on the shoulder.

"I have to agree on that assessment." Astrid commented. "But you know what happened to you and what had to be done right."

Fishlegs nodded.

"Wait! What happened?" Snotlout now asked perplexed.

"Magical backlash." Astrid stated. "As I've stated before. The person's magic is bound to a set of principles when they become clerics. Casting anything that is considered dark is a taboo and the bond will cause the caster immense pain. You would have died if you had not appeared here."

"Yes" Fishlegs said. "I was aiming for this place when I cast the spell."

"And why is that?" Hiccup now asked.

"Because the Dark Queen might be our only hope now!" Fishlegs suddenly said. "I saw her suck the life out of a man. Afterwards she killed King Madine and none of the offensive spells I threw at her did anything."

"Of course none of your spells would work." Astrid stated as if it was obvious. "She might have been banished but the damage had already been done. In fact it was the clerics' themselves who achieved it."

"I......I don't understand." Fishlegs said as his eyes widened at the Queen's words.

"It's the ritual you clerics use. It binds your magic." Astrid now says as if speaking to a small child. "The principles surrounding Sielihah's doctrine are not to divide white and dark magic. They are to protect Sielihah herself. Anything that is considered white magic has little to absolutely no effect on that parasite. The number of Clerics in Alaris is much higher than the amount of Dark ones. You have been systematically decimating your ranks."

"But...But what about the difference between white and dark magic?" Fishlegs asked hesitantly as he tried to process the information.

"There is no difference. Magic relies on intend. Before Sielihah, magic was just magic."

"Was that the Old magic that I heard her mention?" Fishlegs asked rather calmly. "She seemed rather upset that you knew something like that."

"She should be." Astrid mentioned. "After all she did everything she could to destroy those spells."

"Then how do you know them?" Tuffnut asked as he scratched the side of his face.

"It is part of a history that is not readily talked about." Astrid said as she took a seat on the edge of the bed. "Centuries ago when Sielihah first came to power Gimor did not exist. In its stead stood an old monastery where practitioners could freely explore their magic. It is said that Sielihah had spent some time in the monastery before leaving to travel Alaris. When conflict started and the concept of white versus dark magic emerged Sielihah had the monastery burned to the ground. The magic users however were clever and hid most of their work in the underground catacombs which form this castle's foundation now."

"So you have access to all that magic?" Ruffnut asked eagerly.

"The catacombs are still being explored by the scribes I employ. I found one such room full of spells when I was first brought to the castle."

"So you have been keeping a few aces up your sleeve?" Hiccup asked with a smirk.

"Of course." Astrid confirmed. "It is better to surprise your opponent then let them surprise you and besides, I have long sleeves." She said indicating to the silken sleeves of her blue gown.