XIII. Circle Of Time

Previously on 'Reign Of Gods':

12. A New God

I sit on the bed and move my fingers over the bedsheet absently. Dad just.. died. There was no warning.

"I do not understand death, Sakura. For me, it is simply that a mortal passes into Hades' realm and becomes immortal."
"The only helpful thing I've heard all day," I tell him.

"Sakura, meet Neji Hyuuga, the god of death," Sasuke coldly states.

"Aphrodite is playing a cruel game."

"Neji, do not look down upon her. She is.."
"

Important to you? Yes, I believe it is evident. You need to be more careful, Sasuke. The girl is mortal."

"I say this only because I owe you, Sasuke. Your mate need not worry. But, perhaps, you should, a little."

🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹

Content Warning: Nothing graphic is included but discretion may still be applied.

🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸

13. Circle Of Time

I sigh and drop my head back. "Now what?" I wonder aloud.

Dad's gone to a happy place. Mum is ready to finally make the spiritual journey she's been wanting to go on for a while. The gaping hole dad's absence left her with has become an 'encouragement to heal herself' as she says. That leaves me. What do I do now? And for whom?

A deep voice from my left replies, "I don't know."

When my eyes open on hearing his silky voice, the vast sky comes into full view. Sasuke's home is beyond those skies somewhere. I wonder if he misses it. He probably does. He's been here for what, 5 months? More?
And then all of a sudden, it strikes me.

"This isn't your home," I say, turning to look at him. I didn't like the words even as they were leaving my mouth.

"No. It isn't," he confirms, unmoved.

And once again, reality is made clear to me.

"But," Sasuke adjusts his body to his comfort, "I like it here."

"Why?" I find myself questioning.
Why indeed? There is no comparison between heaven and earth, afterall.

Finally tearing his gaze from the sky, his eyes stop at me. I can never really get used to the depth in them. He carries a thousand years in his eyes.
The onyx gaze follows my face and shifts away.

"Just reasons."

Confused by Sasuke's inconclusive answer but knowing he won't explain it to me, I choose to resume my quiet.

The encounter with the god of death is still fresh in my mind. I can tell it has bothered him. Save, once again, neither of us says anything.

"You are not returning to work, are you?"

My answer is immediate, alleviating my own indecision. "No."

"Now what?" He repeats my question to me.

And I have no answer for him. I shrug. "Time will tell."

I stretch my legs out and shift the weight of my head to the wall behind me. Looking down at Sasuke's head laying beside my leg, my heart stills yet again.