IX. Up, Up And Above

Previously on 'Reign Of Gods':

8. Green and Gold

The Sasuke who has been living with me for the past month and a half is a god. Everything he said was the truth and I didn't believe him. Shit, that means my other houseguest is an actual god too!

"You know, if you had just walked away from the scene with me, it would have been much less.." I fish for the word, "..messy."

Sasuke looks at me meaningfully. "I can't do that. I am too involved now."

🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸

9. Up, Up and Above

Have you ever hung upside down on a monkey bar as a child? Have you gotten ambitious and tried to swing suspended by just your legs? Fall hard? Thought so. Currently, my head feels like that. For some odd reason, the memory of being in my village's park with my parents on a pleasant Sunday evening occurs to me though. I probably miss them more than I allow myself to experience.

The first thing my blurry vision registers when I open my eyes is the subtle yellow of my wallpaper which slowly comes into focus to reveal two horizontal dusty frames hanging diagonally, with photographs of my parents and I. The next thing I register is my horizontal table clock that said 12:00 PM.

I sit straight up on the chair. My neck feels a bit sore, thanks to the hard wood I just fell asleep on. My eyes scan the room and settle on the page open on my laptop : Greek Gods And Goddesses.

The events of the diner return to me. Fighting off those guys, Sasuke saving my sorry bottom and me finding out he is an actual god. I feel unsettled by it. The game of pretend I was playing until yesterday just became real. I don't know how I feel about that.

On cue, a criminally handsome raven haired male enters my room. Seeing me he frowns.
"Are you feeling alright?" Sasuke asks. It takes me a few seconds to breathe in and out and decipher that seemingly nothing is wrong with me. I nod. There's a buzz in my head I choose to ignore for now. Rumpelstiltskin is dancing around my ears singing 'Sasuke is a god'. I shake that thought away as much as I can and ask what he needs.

"Where do mortals get their clothing?"

Mortals. Shit's real, Sakura. Its real.

"M-mall?" I stutter confusedly.

He enters completely and shuts the door behind him.
"Sakura?" I can hear the tiny frown in his smooth voice.

"Y-yes?" I stutter, lifting my eyes to meet his face.

He seems to be contemplating something, all the while increasing my nervousness. "Now that you believe our story, it doesn't change anything between us, right?"

I take my time to answer. It changes a lot, doesn't it? He obviously doesn't want that but, well, nothing real has changed. I mean, we're still friends, right? "I don't think anything should," I tell him. "And besides, there is nothing between us anyway," I add and shrug but, there's a buried, tiny part of me, telling me I am lying, or at least want to be lying.

Sasuke's captivating gaze meets my eyes and he stares for a few seconds, till I start getting uncomfortable. He then straightens and sighs.

"We have to attend a gala tonight. I lack appropriate clothing," he shifts the topic.

Ah, yes. Its Saturday. We have the office party. I am not very hyped about it but, I'd be lying if I said there is no excitement building. This particularly dashing man before me may have something to do with it.