VII. The Dog-boy Issue

Work is pretty much the same everyday. I've gotten used to having Sasuke around. Some would say I've also adapted to that irritating red-head, forever latched on his arm.

Its been a month since we've been working here. It isn't too bad, afterall.

I am trying to run a scan on the computer while ignoring the weird looks from my desk-mate.

"Sakura, can I ask you something?" Kiba nervously said while his coffee cooled on the table.

"Shoot," I tell him, looking up. At least he isn't staring anymore.

"I was thinking, this Saturday.. that.. you and I could.. attend the party together?"

All I could manage to say was an 'oh'. I wasn't expecting Kiba to ask me.

"Is it too late?" He questions.

I am confused. Have I been sending mixed signals to him or something?

"Umm.. Kiba.. will you.. let me think about it?" I awkwardly say.

His face drops. Then, it picks up again, with a grin.

"As long as the result is positive, why not?"

I sweatdropped.

An office party is coming up three days from now, for no reason other than, Alexis feels like partying. Yes, that is Mrs. Bellefleur's first name. She's weird. And on the verge of divorce - her husband's a letch. At least that's what Sasuke tells me.

Sasuke refuses to go. I don't think he understands that it isn't an actual choice. Not that it matters. God or not, I'm sure Karin will manage to drag him along. We haven't spoken much at work lately. He's mostly occupied and so am I. We haven't even had lunch together since a week. My eyes scan the crowd for him but, yet again today, I don't catch sight of him.

"Sakura, do these too," a voice I've come to dislike, orders. Karin dumped a stack of papers on my desk.

I quickly check the title on the topmost page and frown. "I haven't dealt with this even once. Are you sure its me who has to do this?"

"Of course. And get on it right away. The documents have to be ready by day after."

"That quickly!?"

"Quit complaining and get a move on."

I hate her.

"Remember. Day after," she warns. Then looking straight ahead, she brightens and calls, "Oh, Sasuke! Wait up!"
I quickly follow her line of sight but catch only a flash of black before he's gone.

A sigh escapes me. Why am I even looking for him?

Pulling the first page off the stack, I groan. A deadline of only a day later? The gods must surely hate me.

I skipped my coffee break today. Rather, I forgot to take one. I am probably going to be staying overtime. I quickly pull out my phone and dial Ino's number. She answers on the third ring.

"Hey, Ino, I was hoping you- was that noise Naruto? Are you guys out somewhere?"

"Ichiraku's. I didn't feel like cooking."

"Right. So, okay, Ino I'll have to pull overtime. Can you pick Sasuke up from work today?"

"Sure thing, Sak. You doing fine? You sound tired."

"I am. Its okay. Just some work stress."

"Okay.. Oh my God, forehead! You need to see Naruto's new trick!"