Chapter 5

Chapter 5

When we get back Christina presents us all with necklaces made of the same blue flowers, that seem to be everywhere. Threaded together to make a necklace, and a bracelet for Seth. Christina studies our clothes and soaking wet hair.

I stroke the petals on one of the flowers,"you've been busy, Chrissy." I say.

"We've all made them... But what have you three been up to?" She asks smirking.

We tell them about our waterfall adventure, but no sign of Josh.

"I'm worried about him." Elena says, more to herself than us.

I discover that Amy and Seth found more berries so we eat some, making sure to save enough for tomorrow, then go to sleep. We all crawl into the small hut that we made that morning.

I lay with Nessie on my left and Christina on my right. Just as I begin to fall asleep Christina rolls over and faces me. She looks so peaceful when she sleeps. Her long, brown hair covers her face, hiding her. But it doesn't hide the wet streaks of tears that show she has been crying.

I wake up early but only to discover Amy is already awake. She sits on a rock by the small pool next to the hut, picking petals off an orange flower and letting them float away in an unfelt breeze. Then she watches them spin in the air and glide off into the distance. Gone to the unknown boundaries of the horizon.

"Are you ok, Amy?" I question her as I approach. Her eyes meet mine and she holds my gaze for a few seconds. Then she nods.

"I'm fine."

She looks tired, I can't help but feel pity for her.

"Do you want to come for a walk? See the waterfall?" I ask.

"Ok." She replies, the corners of her mouth turning up in a small smile.

So we go to the waterfall. I feel like I'm replaying the steps I took yesterday, before the excitement and adrenaline of the dive. Amy studies the cliff cautiously, almost as if she thinks it's unstable and one wrong step will send us both hurtling down into the lake.

Then, before we turn to go back, a sudden movement in the leaves ahead of us catches my attention.

"Did you see that?" I whisper as I creep forward towards the bushes.

"Maybe it was Josh." Amy says following me. Was it Josh? Could it be the tiger again?

I pull the branch across to reveal the mysterious person walking in front of us, barely visible in the early morning fog. But visible enough. It is Josh.

Amy is seconds from calling out and running after him. Hastily, I grab her arm and keep her still.

"Wait, let's watch where he goes." I tell her and she nods in agreement.

Josh carries a basket full of fruit that looks like apples. He weaves amongst the trees and disappears from view down the hill. The two of us sneak soundlessly down the hill so we can watch him.

But nothing could have prepared us for seeing where Josh went to.

It was a castle.

The stone structure wasn't huge but it was beautiful. Looming high above us, as tall as the trees around it. Majestic and peaceful. Josh opens the rusty, wood door and goes inside. Taking the basket with him.

Amy's mouth hung open in shock and surprise.

"What is that?" She hissed at me. "Do you think someone else in in there?"

I nod slowly. Not sure what to say.

"Let's go get the others." I say helping Amy to her feet.

We run back to the camp, so fast my feet ache and my lungs burn like fire.

"What's the hurry?" Seth jokes when he sees us. It looks like they all just got up.

"It's..Josh." Amy says trying to catch her breath. "We saw him and a castle. Might be.....someone else. She tells them slowly, sitting down on a rock.

I tell them about how we saw Josh and the castle.

"Do you think someone else lives there?" Elena questions me.

"I don't know but I agree with Jess, we should all go and have a look." Nessie nods coming to stand next to me.

So we all set off to the castle with Amy and I leading the others. Eventually, when we get to the same place I'd first spotted the castle that morning we crouch down and watch.

"Should I just go and knock?" Christina whispers, almost like whoever is in there will hear us. Everyone stays quiet for a few seconds, then Amy says:

"We'll be right behind you Chrissy."

So Christina takes a deep breath and begins to approach the door. I shiver.

A strange mist seems to have set around us and drizzle hangs in the trees making them look like they are full of fog. Raindrops drip from the trees. It must have rained, but it can't have lasted long. Weird weather.

Christina reaches the door whilst the rest of us hang a couple of steps back. Stretching up on her toes, she grabs the large, gold knocker and lets it fall, with a bang, back on the door. I hold my breath and squeeze Nessie's hand.

For a moment, nothing happens.

Then a voice rings out to us from inside the castle.

"You came." The voice says. It sounds surprised.

"The boy was right, there are more of you." It continues to murmur. Josh. We were right, Josh is in there.

"Come in."

Slowly, with a ancient groan, the door opens revealing a young girl, just older than us.

She wears a dark blue, silk dress fading to white at the bottom. Her hair is also white but her eyes are bright green. Standing out from the rest of her appearance.

"How wonderful to meet you all." She smiles sweetly. Gracefully, she turns around to go back down the hallway but calls back, "follow me."