Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I pull my feet through the mud. Clinging to Nessie's hand to stop me from falling. The field stretches out in front of us and I can see the area of the woods where the den is, even through the drizzle and fog.

It rained earlier and the water has turned the entire field into a swamp. I'm glad I put my boots on.

We reach the edge of the woods and I pull the branches across revealing the den. The den is just a huge space in the woods but, because of the leaves and branches, it is invisible from the outside. The towering trees form a canopy above us and keep us dry from the rain. It's not a secret, lots of people know about it, but Me, Nessie and Christina found it first.

Christina sits on one of the tree stumps attempting to scrape mud off her boots with a stick. A boy sits opposite her, a red and black rucksack at his feet. I recognise him but I can't remember why. His name is Josh. Then I spot Elena at the other side leaning against a tree, her fingers stroking up and down the bark. Blond waves of hair stroke past her shoulders. I'm surprised she came because she lives on the opposite side of town. But she's our cousin and I'm glad to see her.

Christiana gets up when she sees us, throwing the stick carelessly behind her.

"You came!" She says and her smile lights up her face.

"What is this?" Nessie asks, "some kind of secret meeting?"

Josh stands up and clears his throat.

"Jessica and Nessie, right?"

"Actually it's just Jess" Nessie says. I bite my lip to stop myself from giggling at her. Josh just raises an eyebrow and shakes his head making his sandy blonde hair fall over his face.

I watch Elena roll her eyes and groan. Clearly getting impatient.

"would you please just tell me why I'm here, please." She says walking over to where we are stood.

We all watch as Josh picks up his rucksack and tries to find what he's looking for. He pulls out a dark blue box and holds it up so we can see.

"What.." Nessie starts but Josh puts his finger to his lips to silence her.

"Let me explain." He takes a deep breath. "I moved house recently and I found it in my garden. It was hidden." He takes the lid off the box and shows us what is inside. It's like a ring, but bigger. Green with white flowers spiralling around it all connected by a wavy blue line.

"It has instructions in it and it says if we take it to where it wants then something will happen." Josh says slowly.

Elena laughs and shakes her head.

"Really? You do know nothing is going to happen. It's probably a joke."

Christina looks mad. "Fine! You don't have to come. We aren't forcing you." She snaps at Elena.

I glance at Nessie and she looks at me. When our eyes meet it's like I know what she's thinking.

"We'll come Chrissy." I say, speaking for me and Nessie. Christina smiles again and her angelic face seems to beam with happiness.

Elena sighs."I'm coming but I'm only looking after my cousins. "

So we leave the den but go through the woods so we can avoid having to swim through the field of mud.

"Josh, we're do we have to take this thing?" Christina asks, walking awkwardly to avoid stepping in an enormous puddle.

Josh opens the box and reads what it is written on it. I catch sight of some writing in black pen. We watch as his face turns pale.

"We...we have to take it to the ruins."

Nessie gasps beside me and links her arm through mine. "We have to go in the ruins!" She whispers. She's right but we all stay silent.

Imagine your in a horror movie. It's cold, it's raining and you see a huge, crumbling, stone building in front of you. It's a church and all our lives we've been told stories how the place is haunted. We shouldn't believe them; shouldn't let them scare us. But the ruins of the church are simply terrifying.

They loom above us now casting a shadow over our group. Nessie squeezes my hand so hard it hurts but I squeeze back just as hard. We stand in silence staring at the church. Suddenly a scream echoes around us. My heart pounds painfully and we all freeze in terror. Am I sure I'm not in a horror movie?