Nine - Birthday

Mia's POV

This weekend was just awful. I wanted to break up with Ethan but the fear stopped me. What would happen when I did?

He seemed to go back to his normal self after the whole episode. He apologized for having acting the way he did and showered me with sweet words and kisses but something changed between us. I was scared.

This morning when I woke up, the whole living room was full of flowers, teddy bears and balloons. He made me breakfast in bed because he wanted to celebrate my birthday and show me his love. The whole time I kept giving him fake smiles because I didn't know if it would upset him if I didn't. I wanted to end it all after his whole episode and I did try. When I walked into the room to tell him I saw him crying. I asked what was wrong and that was when he apologized. He said he was sorry and he didn't know what he would do without me. He said if I wasn't with him any longer he'd give up on his treatment and life because he didn't want a life without me. I remembered his mom telling me she was forever thankful to me for saving her son.

She was grateful I gave him another reason to fight his cancer and she didn't know how to repay me. She would hate me if he gave up hope because of me. The words were on the tio of my tongue threatening to come out but when he said he would literally try to die because he didn't want to be without me I froze. I could not have that guilt in my head.

I tried to forget about Ethan as I walked into the office. As a matter of fact I wanted to forget about my birthday, my name, just everything. I wanted to be free from all this stress and now fear.

I tried to keep my face clear of any emotion as I walked in because I didn't want Alex to ask me what was wrong since I was afraid I would cry.

I walked into the office and a slight gasp escaped when I saw a beautiful arrangement of red roses on my desk. There had to be around 50 roses on it because it was just huge.

Another gasp escaped me when I saw Alex leaning against his office table looking at me. He was wearing a navy blue suit that contrasted against his skin beautifully. His skinny tie in place looking as sharp as ever. Even his hair was done neatly today instead of in his messy style. 

His pearly teeth showing in a wide smile. I couldn't help but smile back at him as he walked over to me.

"Happy birthday Mia" he said in his velvety voice. 

"Thank you Alexander" I said while looking up at him as he got closer.

He put his hand in his coat pocket then took out a skinny long box. I looked at him slightly confused as he handed it to me.

"I hope you like your gift" he said excitedly.

"You didn't have to get me anything..." I said slightly embarrassed but also happy that he thought of me.

When I opened my gift I immediately fell in love with it. It was a beautiful, simple yet elegant necklace that had an M with a small round jadeite gemstone next to it. The green color of the gem reminded me of his green eyes and that was when it clicked. He bought it like this because he knew it would remind me of his eyes. I could see he put thought into it by the way he looked at me adoringly. I was so in love with it I knew I would never want to take it off.

If I was honest with myself I loved it so much because it came from him. He could've given me a 25 cent dinosaur plastic ring from a kid's machine and I would have loved it.

"It's so beautiful, thank you." I said while looking at it then at his green eyes.

"Would you like to me to put it on for you?"

I nodded excitedly and smiled as I moved my hair to the side.

I could not help but shiver when his fingers brushed against my neck. I could feel his body behind mine radiating warmth. I almost turned around to kiss him because of how warm my heart felt at his show of affection.

The necklace felt cold against my heated skin but it was refreshing. I knew when he was done putting it on because his warmth left. I turned around to see him smiling widely as he said, "it fits you perfect."

"I love it, I won't be taking this off anytime soon."

Alex's POV

I smiled widely while looking at her. The beautiful green gem would always be near her heart. Now she could have a little piece of me always with her. I knew she understood why I choose green when she looked at me with a knowing smile.

The rest of the day was just as great as the beginning. I could feel a tingling in my stomach every time I would catch her smelling the roses then looking up at me through her eyelashes.

We ended up having lunch together at one of the restaurants nearby which surprised me since I thought she'd be with Ethan but I wasn't complaining.

The whole time we sat there we were leaning into each other. Our hands brushing against each other every now and then. Her cheeks would turn a slightly pink hue every time our fingers touched or every time she noticed me looking at her necklace.

I could not say I was the happiest man alive since technically she wasn't my girlfriend. But being with her like this made me pretty darn happy. When it was just her and me diving into each other's eyes the world was forgotten.